Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Server 2003 R2 32/64Bit

 

I'm SLLLOWLY turning on the firewall for my servers (leaving the DCs for last) I was wondering if I should block 135 and 139 (and or disable NetBIOS) I've blocked it on my backup server with no ill affects (yet)...

 

I get a little confused with the windows firewall, if I block file and print sharing it doesn't stop me accessing another servers files but does stop my files from being shared. So do I need port 25 open for a server to send an email through to exchange? (for local alerts and the such...)

Posted

Hi

 

You are disabling file and print on that server, not for that user logged on that server accessing other servers files and share if this isn't disabled.

 

For exchange you need 25 for communication via SMTP. If use POP3 or IMAP or http for exchange then you have to open these too. In addition to a number of others ports for DNS, LDAP, replication etc...there are a few.

 

Why are you deploying a firewall on your server internally?

 

Regards

Sukh

Posted

Why are you deploying a firewall on your server internally?

 

I have to ask this aswell?

 

I simply just keep a firewall between my network and the wan - i have linux boxs outside the firewall (As they arn't much risk with secure passwords etc).

 

But internally i leave them off as most virus's etc just spread using ports that are open (i.e file and printer sharing ports 135/139) so not much point

 

T

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...