neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 I seem to be having a problem deploying windows images to laptops. I keep getting an error saying that the image cannot get an IP address from DHCP (see atched image) I have been serching the internet but I just can't seem to find any answers. Any advice/guidance is very much appreciated. Thanks
plexer Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 Does the boot image contain drivers for the nic concerned? How much memory does the client have? Ben
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 I have added the NIC drivers to the image. This happens as it is starting setup, so after ive hit F12, and then selected Windows 7 Deployment. I have added the drivers to the Windows 7 Deployment image aswell. Client has about 8gb of memory
plexer Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 You sure you commited the changes and then replaced the boot image in wds? Ben
skell Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 Try a different network port. Yes, it sounds stupid but I was getting this error last week. Switching network ports seemed to fix it.
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 I followed this guide for adding the drivers to the boot image. Windows Deployment Services, WAIK & Windows 7 - Part 4/4 | SharePoint George The same error happens in 2 different schools, even after trying a different network point.
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 Are the networks you're using VLANed? No.....
Gilleen Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 If its what I think it is, then its not as simple as it looks. You have added the drivers to image 1 of the boot.wim found on the DVD, this doesnt work because the boom.wim actaully has 2 images inside it, one for DVD installation and a second for WDS/WinPE installations. Try adding the drivers again when you have mounted image 2, as opposed to image 1. (Providing my memory is working today)
Gatt Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 When the error appears - press F8 to open a comman prompt and type: ipconfig /all A) Does it get an IP address - or an APIPA (169.x.x.x) B) If its not APIPA, is the IP info correct - Subnet, etc..
riffleman Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 Is the WDS server a different one to the DHCP server?
plexer Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 That guide is about installing drivers to the install images which are deployed to the clients not the boot image which is the one that is first loaded? Ben
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 When the error appears - press F8 to open a comman prompt and type: ipconfig /all A) Does it get an IP address - or an APIPA (169.x.x.x) B) If its not APIPA, is the IP info correct - Subnet, etc.. I get the APIPA (169.x.x.x)
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 That guide is about installing drivers to the install images which are deployed to the clients not the boot image which is the one that is first loaded? Ben Before I got this error I was getting an error saying there where no NIC drivers available. So I added them to the Boot image, and then I get this error. It is the boot image which is loaded first after pressing F12
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 Is the WDS server a different one to the DHCP server? Yes, they are on separate servers
riffleman Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 Have you set the options in DHCP to take this into account. Options 60, 66 and 67 need to be set. You also need to ensure any routers/firewalls allow traffic to both the WDS and DHCP servers.
plexer Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 WDS server and DHCP server on two different servers Ben
tommej Posted March 1, 2011 Posted March 1, 2011 Make sure the drivers you injected are the same architecture as your boot image, Made that mistakes once..or twice...three..
neilmc Posted March 1, 2011 Author Posted March 1, 2011 It appears to be just these new stone laptops which have been purchased, the NIC cards are something ive never heard of before JMicron PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. Other machines work perfectly fine on WDS, I rebuild 3 classrooms at a time, its just these laptops which won't find an IP address, im starting to think maybe its an incorrect Driver, ive had a look but can't seem to find any updated drivers
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now