X-13 Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 ATM I'm downloading the .iso for Edubuntu, so I can make a USB boot disk. It's only at about 45% and it's going to take longer than I have time left here. [i'm going to finish before it does.] Do you guys think I should hang out and wait, and risk people expecting me to do stuff then getting all annoyed when I tell them I'm finished, or should I just cancel it and try again another time? [Note: the second option is a valid one. In the space of 5 minutes I had to tell 6 people I don't start work until 8:30. I've worked here 3 years and my start time hasn't changed.] What I'm really asking is... What would you do?
LosOjos Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 If you're not going to do anything with it today, I'd forget about it. In future though, I'd be looking to download it via a torrent, it'll download quicker and you'll be able to pause it to resume when you're back in work.
X-13 Posted February 4, 2011 Author Posted February 4, 2011 I tried torrenting it after seeing a DL time of about 4 hours. Turns out the LA block torrenting software. My rage face went into overdrive.
contink Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 My advice would be to cancel and just set the download running from home or on a machine that you can leave locked down (ie: nobody will try to reboot the machine or kick you off) ... then get the flock out of there. People assume that presence in work = "working" / "there to gloat"... Neither works for you...
Arthur Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 Have you tried any of these servers? http://iso.linuxquestions.org/download/1400/3435/ftp/ie.archive.ubuntu.com/edubuntu-10.10-dvd-i386.iso http://iso.linuxquestions.org/download/822/3435/http/mirror.yandex.ru/edubuntu-10.10-dvd-i386.iso http://iso.linuxquestions.org/download/1400/3437/ftp/ie.archive.ubuntu.com/edubuntu-10.10-dvd-amd64.iso http://iso.linuxquestions.org/download/822/3437/http/mirror.yandex.ru/edubuntu-10.10-dvd-amd64.iso
Hightower Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 On a side note of telling people "I don't start until 8:30" - if you don't want to work until 8:30, why are you in work before 8:30? Most days I come in early to get stuff done, but fully expect to be interrupted. Turning staff away I believe gives the department a bad name.
X-13 Posted February 4, 2011 Author Posted February 4, 2011 On a side note of telling people "I don't start until 8:30" - if you don't want to work until 8:30, why are you in work before 8:30? Most days I come in early to get stuff done, but fully expect to be interrupted. Turning staff away I believe gives the department a bad name. If I don't get in before 8:30, I get in around 9.30. Literally, if I miss my bus I end up an hour late. And I am the department. At least the technical department. IT Co-Ordinator handles the curriculum side only.
Hightower Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 And I am the department. At least the technical department. IT Co-Ordinator handles the curriculum side only. Yeah, so you give yourself a bad name.
JHeaton Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 Yeah, so you give yourself a bad name. Agreed. If I get in too early (we're talking before 07:30 for an 08:00 start), then sometimes I'll sit in the server room and check up on the servers' statuses or something. People rarely go to it, so I'm unlikely to be disturbed. If I'm in the office, though, then I'll help out before I officially start. My name is bad enough as it is, although that really isn't my fault.
X-13 Posted February 5, 2011 Author Posted February 5, 2011 Yeah, so you give yourself a bad name. I see... So, what, I'm supposed to wander the streets and arrive exactly on time? I'm supposed to get in and start working imminently without having coffee...
witch Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 I see... So, what, I'm supposed to wander the streets and arrive exactly on time? I'm supposed to get in and start working imminently without having coffee... I agree that is a problem - although maybe people are imagining you snarling "I don't start till 8.30!!!" which I am sure you don't I always get in early but then again as I officially start at 07.30am nobody else is there before me, so I rarely get interrupted before I am ready to start work - but I do try to stay out of the way just in case someone is looking for me!
dwhyte85 Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 These issues should be hitting your helpdesk anyway, X-13... say you'll write up a ticket / them send in a ticket and action it after you've prioritised. ... but seriously, lock the door or something and hide in the corner with the lights off so they can't see you.
Hightower Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 I see... So, what, I'm supposed to wander the streets and arrive exactly on time? I'm supposed to get in and start working imminently without having coffee... Well yes, that's how it works in my eyes. Either arrive on time, or be prepared to get requests if you go in early. If I can't be bothered to deal with people before I'm due to start I'll hang around the house for longer on a morning.
witch Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 But you can't 'arrive on time' - you are supposed to be ready to work at your start time which means arriving a little bit early so that you can sign in, take your coat off, etc.
Hightower Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 But you can't 'arrive on time' - you are supposed to be ready to work at your start time which means arriving a little bit early so that you can sign in, take your coat off, etc. Otherwise known as 'arriving on time'?!
dwhyte85 Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 Then you're susceptible to working before your stated working hours..., you start at 8.00am and you get in for 7.50am to be ready, at your desk etc. It's one of those catch 22s, I know staff who sign in dead on, leave dead on and they get away with it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now