goodhead Posted February 15, 2007 Posted February 15, 2007 some of you that use vista with 2003 server will know that the 2003 admin pak dont work with vista. there are work arounds, which aren't brillaint. Microsoft are supposed to be working on an admin pak for vista.. Does any one know any dates for this??? We use it so much.
GrumbleDook Posted February 15, 2007 Posted February 15, 2007 Presently the best suggestion I have is that you have one server with VMWare server on which has a virtual machine running Vista. Use this machine for any work to do with Vista as the GPMC on it has all the updated templates on. The admin.pak which will allow you to do things on a Server 2003 R2 box to control Vista is actually part of the Longhorn development and there is no firm date yet, but it is thought to be around July. If I find out anything different in the next few weeks (when we start the Vista test in earnest) I will let you know.
timbo343 Posted February 15, 2007 Posted February 15, 2007 I dont know, but as soon as they release one im going to be testing it on a vista business machine we have got. I got the XP admin pak working on vista but the GP tab was missing. Managed to find this tho.. http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1265834&page=1 http://www.tabletquestions.com/windows-vista/9374-release-date-adminpack-windows-vista-build-6000-a.html
tarquel Posted March 6, 2007 Posted March 6, 2007 and sort of bolting onto Tony's suggestion, that if ur main workstation is running Vista, then could get the freely available Virtual PC 2007 [http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx], install XP Pro on it [with the proper license for it of course], join to the domain and use it for admn stuff. Just an idea [and is part of my plan to do so when i get things running with the Vista Express Upgrades ] Hopefully MS wont be too long in bringing out a new version of the adminpak [and GPMC] - a new version of both that works on XP & Vista would be the ideal situation for me :D Cheers Nath.
Geoff Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 and sort of bolting onto Tony's suggestion, that if ur main workstation is running Vista, then could get the freely available Virtual PC 2007 [http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx], install XP Pro on it [with the proper license for it of course], join to the domain and use it for admn stuff. This will work fine. I have a similar setup at work. My workstation is running Kubuntu 6.10. I have VMWare Server installed with WinXP as a VM. This has all the admin tools I need for doing windows admining on.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now