MatthewL Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 I am teaching myself something new and that is Access, I can do the basics but I want to create a complex database. I have penned it all on paper and know what I want to achieve so slowly working on it. Now to cut to the chase is there anyone who knows access well on here, if so let me know if you would be able to help out when I get stuck. It is comprising on address data, incident data and assets as such to keep it in IT terms but its a personal project for home. Eventually I want to create a user login page with privileges etc and look to move it to SQL but that is later. For the time been I just want to create it in access and play so I can learn. I also have a reporting section using queries which I can do. Just need to work on my designs for them and I am no good at that. So any help would be appreciated.
limbo Posted January 20, 2011 Posted January 20, 2011 You say you are looking to move it to SQL eventually - will this still be using an Access front end? I used to write a lot of systems in Access but eventually outgrew it and now do everything using VB / ASP for the front end. The Access skills are still invaluable in terms of database structure, but looking back I would have been much better not wasting time getting to grips with the quirks of Access forms and reports. Before you get started it might be worth thinking about learning a scripting language instead for the front end.
MatthewL Posted January 20, 2011 Author Posted January 20, 2011 Hi Limbo, At the moment I would prefer to keep it all within access, I am not a keen scripter so do not want to have to learn something else unless I really have to.
limbo Posted January 20, 2011 Posted January 20, 2011 Happy to help where I can, but it has been a while since I created a front end in Access.
srochford Posted January 20, 2011 Posted January 20, 2011 Not sure what you're asking for - do you just want help making the reports look right? (You've said you can do the queries for the reports but you want help with the design???) If so, some samples of what you're trying to achieve would be useful (just a mock up in Word or something)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now