thepineapplehead Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 Looking to get a new phone with T-Mobile's £15/mo contract, we're already paying 15 per month for the SIM only deal Trouble is, we can't decide which two phones to get. I think I've narrowed it down to these 5: BlackBerry Curve 8520 Mobile Phone on Pay Monthly LG Optimus One Navigation Edition Mobile Phone on Pay Monthly Samsung Galaxy Apollo Mobile Phone on Pay Monthly Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 Mobile Phone on Pay Monthly Sony Ericsson Vivaz Mobile Phone on Pay Monthly but the trouble is, I know nothing about new phone technology. I currently have a Nokia 5800, I love it. I used my last Nokia (N95) until it fell to bits. I had an LG cookie in between, and it was the biggest load of cack I have ever used. The battery life was crap, it kept crashing, the touch-screen buttons didn't respond - which makes me wary of the Optimus, even though it has free sat nav stuff. I don't understand blackberrys at all. I don't know what BlackBerry Email is, or why it's different to just accessing emaiil through the internet. But my missus wants one. She's currently got an Alcatel AT-808 and loves it. She got bored of the 5800 (it's a touchscreen, which is why I have it) and got the AT808 because we couldn't afford a blackberry. I also don't understand Android, or why I want it (it's on the LG). I'm not too concerned with social networking stuff but Sam would be, if it works with whatever internet can work with the phone. We could be getting broadband at home too so wifi capability would be good. Standard USB connection would be great (as I keep losing the phone-specific usb cables), as would a normal 3.5mm headphone jack. The other phones are on: Mobile Phones on Pay Monthly - T-Mobile if there's any better ones - 15/mo please tho!
localzuk Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 A friend had the Vivaz and had no end of problems with it, so ended up replacing it with something else, so I'd avoid that one. Android is the best choice of OS at the moment, good app support, very powerful system.
thepineapplehead Posted January 19, 2011 Author Posted January 19, 2011 OK, I've done a little more research. Sam's phone is between the SE Xperia X8 and the Blackberry. I looked at differences between the Vivaz and the X8 - the Vivaz has a much better camera (8mp + flash instead of 9.2 w/o - but our current phones are 3.2 and we're happy with MMSing ) but the X8 comes with Android instead of Symbian OS. The BB comes with 100 minutes, 100 texts, unlimited BB email (which I think is a good thing) and a flexible booster - so she could get unlimited texts on top. Would the BB need internet, or would the BB email + whatever WiFi we connect to be enough? Can you reply to emails via BB email or is it just to read them? I'm torn between the LG Optimus One (free sat nav yay) and the Samsung Apollo (because it's not a cack LG)
Flakes Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 none opf them, HTC Desire -- it has the ability to do email just like the blackberry, with a much better onscreen keyboard(turn it on its side), links in to facebook and auto updates your contacts from gmail/facebook twitter etc(only if you want it to)... battery life sucks for the first week but after that its fine. or the Samsung Droid S, i would stay clear of the sony erricsons, in my experience the touchscreens on them are extremly poor. Both of these have gogle navigation(free sat nav) aswell
MYK-IT Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 (edited) I went through a similar exercise recently, BlackBerry and Android are totally different. People who go for Blackberry normally do so for BBM and the keypad. Android opens up a whole new world, and you don't need BBM (which costs extra anyway), use good old PingChat if you are concerned about using your texts up. As far as Android devices are concerned, from what i found out they start from just under £100 to over £400. And usually you have to spend over £300 to get a big jump in specification. Majority of the android phones under £200 have a lower resolution screen (ie HTC Wildfire, that normally sells for £229, but has been on offer recently for £129). The LG Optimus One ranges from £149 to £199, but again suffers from a lower screen resolution. In the end i went for the Orange San Francisco (ata ZTE Blade) this can be bought from between £79.99 to £99.99 (existing orange customer or Argos). This has a much higher screen resolution so the Internet is easier to view and navigate and games like AngryBirds work. The bonus is it can be unlocked to any network FREE! The Orange Bloatware can be removed FREE! And if you are feeling brave can also upgrade the firmware with many alternative available ones (for new versions of Android OS). Downside, the battery suffers (like any smartphone) when using GPS, WiFi etc and the camera is poor with no flash. I love it, but the only downside for me is that i haven't mastered the art of fast (accurate) typing on a touchscreen! Resources Orange San Francisco review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phonesZTE Blade - Blade.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade - Android 2.2, Tutorials, Guides & Tips LG Optimus One review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones Samsung Galaxy Apollo review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones (Of course i've quoted PAYG handset prices, and you could get a GiffGaff PAYG SIM that currently gives you unlimited texts, internet and 250mins for £10 a month). [Flakes] I agree the HTC Desire (and Desire HD) are fantastic phones but was a £240 premium over the Orange San Francisco (PAYG Price) Edited January 19, 2011 by MYK-IT 1
thepineapplehead Posted January 19, 2011 Author Posted January 19, 2011 We haven't got the money to buy new phones, if we did then yes I'd be looking at a HTC or the San Francisco I think we'd be happy with the BlackBerry 8520 and LG savnav doofer if they worked and we didn't have to pay any extra. For the satnav on the LG to work, does it need internet access (through t-mobile)? or does it just work? Also, I know blackberry pushes emails to the phone, but can you reply through the t-mobile network or is it separate and you'd need some sort of internet connection? Sorry for the idiot questions, this is all completely new to me I don't know what costs money, what costs extra, and how it all works Thanks for the help so far though
Flakes Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 HTC Desire has been out a while is free on most £20 a month contracts... most phones these days have GPS built into them and dont need internet access, cant say for the LG ill have to look into it. internet including emails on phones is done through the 3G network or HSPDA network, just make sure you have an internet Package from your provider and you will be fine.
MYK-IT Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 You normally have to add a BlackBerry Bolt-on (~£5 a month on o2 anyway, not sure of cost for T-Mobile) to get the full BB Service (BBM etc)
thepineapplehead Posted January 19, 2011 Author Posted January 19, 2011 The emails is the bit thats confusing me on the BB. The contract comes with unlimited BlackBerry email, but do you think this just applies to the push system of receiving emails, or replying too? Ideally we want the bb email booster and the family pack booster (for unlimited texts/calls) for the BB and then I can get a different booster on the LG (it comes with unlimited internet) ... although saying that I think I'm a bit thick ... if I got the LG, it comes with 300 minutes 300 texts, unlimited internet, and a booster - so I could get the family booster and get unlimited calls and texts to share with the missus - then if she got the BB with 100 minutes, 100 texts, free BB email and unlimited internet booster ... then we'd both have unlimited internet, she'd have unlimited BB email too, we'd have unlimited texts and calls to each other, as well as some extra minutes and texts?
mthomas08 Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 Strange I too have just bought a new phone, been pondering a while about which to go for. Blackberrys - I am not impressed with them, I have a basic model my self and its slow, rubbish, didnt take long for it to start failing and doing weird thing, turn it off and back on again was a solution.... I dont want just a basic mobile now, its time for some thing new. Android I feel is too young and too new, I dont get things just released I would rather them age a bit and be more "matured" shall we say. So I looked at Iphones, they have been out a bit and have come a way since its original release. So I have gone for the new Iphone4 and hopefully it will give me everything I want. I have had my Ipod for about 5 years, its been dropped, its had rare problems and has lasted me much longer then my mobile phones. I have gone through 3 phones to my 1 ipod. I am not a Apple fan but because every where i look I see IPhones and it does what I want it to and perhaps more I decided that wins. Turns up tomorrow so either expect me to be smashing it up on friday or singing its praises.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now