Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, got my Sony BDP-S370 courtesy of rec from John and discounted price from Richer Sounds :)

 

Watched Inception - marvelous - particularly looking forward to watching it again without having to turn sound down at times for Mrs SS :)

 

I've hooked it up with a wireless bridge to get internet to it and watched a few iplayers progs and I now want to use it as a media centre.

 

Tried plugging my Desire in as a USB device - got recognised but every single folder I tried to play video/music from said - unplayable files.

 

I've installed ServiIO as a DLNA server on my PC and the sony acknowledges it but give the the same - unplayable files when I use it to browse folders on my PC.

 

What files/format will this thing actually play?

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

ta Matt

I'm starting to get somewhere :)

Most of my media files are on another machine which I have a mapped drive to.

 

Reading the faq :) on ServiIO - its says don't use mapped drives as the DLNA client won't understand them :)

 

So I set a library path to a share on the same machine as the serviIO server and its found some files :)

(None of the ones I actually want to view but at least I can see/hear pictures/mp3s and some videos :)

 

I think there is about a 2 hour delay in any changes on my ServiIO server being relayed across the network which doesn't help in the debugging process :)

 

Si

Posted
I am still thinking about getting one of these myself - I'm still using my sumvision media player but may move that into our bedroom or one of the kids and use the Sony as my main player - still can't make up my mind !!
Posted

Well at £80 from Richer - its a good deal I think (given that cheap blu-ray only players are £50)

 

It obviusly doesn't play everthing over a LAN but its got potential :)

 

Si

Posted
Lists the formats supported over DLNA

 

Image: JPEG

Audio: WMA, MP3

Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MPEG-4 AAC , DivX HD

According to your link, DivX HD isn't supported over DLNA. MPEG-4 is, but Sony doesn't mention whether it's ASP or AVC. :confused:

 

It obviusly doesn't play everthing over a LAN but it's got potential

It will if you use a DLNA server which can transcode unsupported audio and video formats on-the-fly into something the player does support e.g. Mezzmo.

Posted

Now I've stopped fiddling with it - its seems fine :)

 

It plays back xvid so that's my main criteria sorted.

 

It seems to pick up file names from somewhere other than the filename title so I'll have to find out where it gets that info from

@arthur

ServiIO has a transcoding fuction but I've switched it off to see what happens natively first and when I find a file that I want to watch that doesn't play - I'll try switching it on and see what happens :)

 

regards

Simon

  • 4 months later...
Posted

The video/audio spec supported by sony bdp-s370 i found as follow:

Video

MPEG-1 Video/PS*5, MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS*6 with “.mpg,” “.mpeg”, “.m2ts”, “.mts” extension

DivX with “.avi”, “.divx” extension

MPEG-4 AVC*5 with “.mkv”, “.mp4”, “.m4v”, “.m2ts”, “.mts”

WMV9*5 with “.wmv”,“.asf”

AVCHD*5 format files that are recorded on a digital video camera

 

Music

MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer III) with “.mp3” extension

AAC*4*5 with “.m4a” extension

WMA9 Standard*4*5 with “.wma” extension

LPCM with “.wav” extension

 

Photo

JPEG with “.jpg,” “.jpeg” extension

 

Hope it helps!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...