dcross Posted November 8, 2010 Posted November 8, 2010 Hello, I am trying to deploy Target Tracker ver 11.8.1 but the stations fail to install saying the installation media could not be found. Have other people "deployed" Target Tracker and if so how did you do it? Regards, David.
Little-Miss Posted November 8, 2010 Posted November 8, 2010 Hmm, i did recently but havent checked the outcome of it if im completely honest. Will check if i get time.
djones Posted November 9, 2010 Posted November 9, 2010 Yes, I deploy it via GP and then add a few tweaks to setup everthing correctly e.g. setting up the Launcher 'buttons' and data location automatically. The install works correctly (provided that it is a complete uninstall and reinstall each time and not an upgrade) although the additional tweaks take another restart (or two) to take properly. Updates (i.e. 11.8.3) are installed via startup script as they are released as .msp files. All I do (which may or may not be the best practise way) is to copy the entire CD to a new folder in my deployment share and then add the MSI to a new GPO. It would be worth double checking the NTFS and share permissions on the folder and checking that the file path to the MSI has been specified as a UNC path that clients can resolve.
seanmh Posted November 10, 2010 Posted November 10, 2010 Used to have this "software" thankfully dumped it now and gone over to Classroom Monitor. However used to deploy via GPO you need to copy entire CD contents into a share that is accessible via UNC on your network and then add the MSI into the correct GPO under computer/software installation. You need to make sure that TT is uninstalled first on machines you are deploying to as it don't upgrade but fails miserably - if you have deployed via GP then you can remove Via GP if not add/remove programs on every PC that has it installed - make no mistake that there will be lots of restarting and generally fannying about to get the blooming thing to install and run correctly! Target Tracker "support" haven't got a clue regarding network installation so don't waste your breath as the official line is they don't support networks and only know how to install from CD and remove via add/remove programs - part of the reason we've dumped tracker here is their lack of support - apart from that good luck.
dcross Posted November 10, 2010 Author Posted November 10, 2010 Thanks for your help - turns out the permissions had been changed on the distro share. I agree with what people are saying about the trouble this "software" causes.
djones Posted November 10, 2010 Posted November 10, 2010 What trouble does it really cause? A lot of software has 'issues' in one way or another and I have pretty much got Target Tracker installing/upgrading seamlessly for users now so maybe able to help further. I also do not agree that their support is poor - every question I've had including finding the relevant files that store config info so that they can be set once and distributed has been met with instant help.
james14100 Posted November 11, 2010 Posted November 11, 2010 I am also having the same issue. I have TT 11.8.0 installed via GP (just rolled out the MSI in the CD ROM from a network share), however I now have no way of deploying the recent MSP update 11.8.3, other than doing it manually
djones Posted November 11, 2010 Posted November 11, 2010 I use a startup script to deploy the minor updates (.msp files) e.g. :excute the update if not exist %systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log msiexec.exe /qn /p "\\server\Applications$\Target Tracker\Primary Target Tracker\v11.8\Primary Target Tracker 11.8.1 Update.msp" :Copy a logfile to remote workstation if not exist %systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log copy "\\server\Applications$\Target Tracker\Primary Target Tracker\v11.8\TTv11_8_1.log" "%systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log" This seems to work fine but if there are better ways then I'm all ears! 1
james14100 Posted November 11, 2010 Posted November 11, 2010 I use a startup script to deploy the minor updates (.msp files) e.g. :excute the update if not exist %systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log msiexec.exe /qn /p "\\server\Applications$\Target Tracker\Primary Target Tracker\v11.8\Primary Target Tracker 11.8.1 Update.msp" :Copy a logfile to remote workstation if not exist %systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log copy "\\server\Applications$\Target Tracker\Primary Target Tracker\v11.8\TTv11_8_1.log" "%systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log" This seems to work fine but if there are better ways then I'm all ears! This worked perfectly - thanks djones!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now