Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Afternoon,

 

I need to purchase some SQL CALs (SQL Server 2008 R2) and I am just trying to work out how many I need, I have x2 Terminal Servers for the Remote Users and then I have 15 Users that connect Locally.

 

Can I just buy 1 CAL for each Terminal Server (2) to cover the 50 remote users? or/ do I have to buy another 50 CALs

 

I think it's the later answer, so I would have to buy 50 + 15 User CALs oppose to the nicer cost version of 17 :)

 

On the Terminal Servers would it just be how many active sessions I would have open if everyone was to be using it = how many CAL's I would need on top of the Local Users.

 

Cheers,

 

James.

Posted

Im afraid that every device that accesses directly or indirectly to the server requires a CAL be it user or device. Microsoft do not do concurrent licences im afraid. SQL is a product that can be licensed in server and cal or processor. The reason for this is that SQL is often used to host websites and for that reason you can't determine the number of users accessing the server. In these instances they have to be licensed per processor. You then need a processor licence for each physical processor in the server (not core)

 

Your options would be SQL Server Licence + 65 User CALS or SQL Server 2008 Processor licence (unlimited CALS). Depending on which is the most cost effective solution for you as both would be valid.

 

I hope this answers your question

 

Shaun Dibble

VMware VSP & Microsoft MCP for Licensing,

Posted (edited)

Hi Shaun,

 

Thanks for confirming that, I thought It was the case but just wanted to make sure before I went ahead.

 

what i will probably do then is work out how many sessions could be launched at each remote site at any one time and that would tell me how many CAL's I would need. To be honest I'm probably just going to get a Processor Licence! lol what is it about 5k

 

Awesome!

 

Thanks,

 

James.

Edited by EduTech
Posted

SQL Std 2008 1 processor for a commerical customer is about that but for education is alot cheaper. I would definately recommend processor licence to your scenario as it simplifies your licensing. As long as the SQL server is a single processor server then you just need the 1 single processor licence

 

Shaun Dibble

VSP MCP

Posted
SQL Std 2008 1 processor for a commerical customer is about that but for education is alot cheaper. I would definately recommend processor licence to your scenario as it simplifies your licensing. As long as the SQL server is a single processor server then you just need the 1 single processor licence

 

Shaun Dibble

VSP MCP

 

Yeah thought it was, the processor I've asked for is: 1x Intel Xeon Quad Core Processor :) Not 2! so just need to one as you say it's not core's it's physical processors.

 

Thanks for confirming that for me though Shaun, really appreciate it

 

James.

Posted

On another note, thinking ahead!

 

I know we can't speak for the future, but it might already exist now. Is there an upgrade path for SQL Server? so like if say SQL 2010 was released and needed to upgrade to that at a later date rather than buy it all again for say 6k is there an upgrade path which would potentially be cheaper?

 

James.

Posted

Microsoft don't do upgrades licences themselves for anything but windows, but they do do something called Software Assurance which has many benefits, one of which is being allowed to upgrade to the latest version at no extra cost.

 

this is part and parcel or optional depending on the licensing scheme you are on

 

Shaun

Posted (edited)
Shaun's already answered your question, but to give you an idea of pricing (assuming it's for a school), SQL costs about £920 + VAT Per Processor or £115 per server and £22 per CAL under SELECT licensing. Edited by SteveJ
Removed incorrect information
Posted (edited)

that pricin seems a bit out if im honest, the select is there or there abouts but the school agreeement pricing isnt quite right

 

on school agreement the pricing should be around

 

SQL Std server @ £45 ish

SQL CAL @ £3 ish

SQL Std 1 proc @ £315 ish

 

School agreements also inc Software Assurance as part of the agreement which includes alot of benefits. I personally always recommend to speak to a qualified Microsoft specialist as every customers scenario is different and a lot is down to the customers specific refresh rate on that product. I have customers who always buy SA because they refresh oftern, I have customers that still run office 97 so would be a waste of money. I hope that helps and sorry for putting prices up I just

 

Shaun Dibble

Edited by BIST

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...