pooley Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 Ok story goes, Local primary school have approached me to help them install exchange, not they have a server (just 1) which is DC, DNS, DHCP etc. They cannot afford new hardware. The current OS is 2008 32bit, and this is where my problem lies. I cannot install 2003 onto 2008, also I cannot install 2007 or 2010 exchnage on 32 bit hardware. I'm thinking of Vmware and installing another instance of 200864bit to run exchange 2007. I know they will have a performance hit on this but the server is under used at mo, only individual staff (20 or so) and year groups login, so its not getting hammered. Any advice, tips or warnings. I think I know what your all going to advise but hey, got to ask Cheers Si
pooley Posted September 28, 2010 Author Posted September 28, 2010 Fairly new Fujitsu econel (not sure what model) has 4 gig of RAM and loads of disk space
Tricky_Dicky Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 Personally I would try and stear them away from having Exchange in house. Would a cloud solution not suit them better, such as Live@Edu? Rich
teejay Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 Use live@edu instead, it's free and as its hosted in the cloud you have no server hardware requirements.
pooley Posted September 28, 2010 Author Posted September 28, 2010 Personally I would try and stear them away from having Exchange in house. Would a cloud solution not suit them better, such as Live@Edu? Rich Had thought of that, I've not looked at Live@edu, they have their own domain name registered so I think they would like to keep that for emails, hense the enchange server plan
teejay Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 live@edu will use the schools domain name.
pooley Posted September 28, 2010 Author Posted September 28, 2010 live@edu will use the schools domain name. Hmm getting tempted, how about AD integration, password resets etc?
SYNACK Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 If you are using VMware server you can't virtualise a 64 bit guest OS inside a 32bit one, you would need to virtualise the existing one and use ESXi along with adding some more ram as exchange is hungry. As others have said it may be easier to use Live@edu, it still hooks up to outlook and is managable so long as your internet link is not too bad. Hmm getting tempted, how about AD integration, password resets etc? It links right it and syncs up AD and passwords to the MS servers, once its setup its all automated.
bio Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 If you are using VMware server you can't virtualise a 64 bit guest OS inside a 32bit one, you would need to virtualise the existing one and use ESXi along with adding some more ram as exchange is hungry. very true..and 4 GB of mem for exchange 2007 or 2010 is insufficient. bio..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now