Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have just recently installed the board onto a PC and it doesn't pick up the board properly. The board itself was working on a PC prior to it, but this time it picks up the board as a "Generic USB Hub" and has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

 

I have tried updating the drivers to the latest version with no luck.

 

Can anyone help?

 

Thanks

 

Daz

Posted

Hi There,

 

If you have an exclamation next to Generic USB Hub, it would suggest that the board cannot draw enough power from the PC for some reason.

 

It may be that the USB cable length, at some point is exceeding 5m. You could clarify this by using a direct 5m cable from the back of the board to the PC and seeing if you still have the problem.

 

If you do, it might be worth contact the Tech Support team from in front of the system for further advise.

 

Good Luck!

Posted

The cable length is about 1m(ish), I have tried buying 2 powered USB Hubs for this one and another one that has a different problem.

 

The other problem is that a laptop that is less than a year old will not turn the board on unless the laptop is NOT plugged into the mains. I tried plugging the powered USB hub, but the light didn't come on. Nor did it when the teacher plugged the hub into her laptop.

 

I am going to try the PC today with the "Generic USB Hub" when the board is plugged directly into the PC.

 

Am I missing something? I thought promethean boards HAD to be plugged into the mains? The other boards needed a mains socket.

Posted

Hi,

 

Sorry for the delay in responding - I was out of the office all last week.

 

The new generation boards are USB powered (100 / 300 series) - only the 300 Pro series come with a PSU (which is primarily to provide power for the in built amp).

 

It deffinitely seems like the machines aren't providing enough power to the boards - especially the one where it seems to be ok when the laptop PSU is plugged in.

 

Just one other thing to point out - the 300 series boards (with the black trim) also have a 4 port USB hub in them. I know from experience that plugging one hub into another hub, and then plugging it into a PC (which in theory has it;s own "hub") can confuse the PC no end. - I have seen it myself here, with a Belkin hub, plugged into a HP hub, plugged into my machine - the PC cannot detect anything thats plugged into either of the hubs.

 

If you can, get hold of a 5m USB lead, and plug directly into the back of the board (in the top left hand corner behind where the LED is), and plug that directly into your laptop - that should at least tell you where the problem is coming from (i.e if it's with the board, or the USB hubs you are using).

 

If your still having problems with the direct 5m cable from board to PC, and no PC's work on this particular board, it might be worth reverting to the warranty on the system - Tech Support would be able to advise what warranty you have - just give them a call or drop them an email via Promethean KB with the boards serial number and they might be able to advise further.

 

Hope you manage to get it sorted!




×
×
  • Create New...