ICT_GUY Posted September 15, 2010 Posted September 15, 2010 Cant fint the 32bit os disk, so I am rebuilding it from scratch with 64bit functionality. Network is down, its going to be a fun day. Perhaps even nod32 will now work correctly? Who knows?
jamesfed Posted September 15, 2010 Posted September 15, 2010 Do I mention a better backup/restore strategy for the future?
ICT_GUY Posted September 15, 2010 Author Posted September 15, 2010 I have back ups. The server should have been 64bit anyway and it had a few issues with previous versions of the software. The difference in a restore or rebuild is probably no more than an hour or two.
zag Posted September 15, 2010 Posted September 15, 2010 Its all about virtulization these days when it comes to disasters like this. Make it a virtual server, backup the image. Job done, never have a failure for more than 10mins again. 1
jamesfed Posted September 15, 2010 Posted September 15, 2010 I have back ups. The server should have been 64bit anyway and it had a few issues with previous versions of the software. The difference in a restore or rebuild is probably no more than an hour or two. Phew thats ok then - was under the impression the server was doing a little more than just a few hours work. 1
ICT_GUY Posted September 15, 2010 Author Posted September 15, 2010 Phew thats ok then - was under the impression the server was doing a little more than just a few hours work. I have to get AD onto it then DHCP desktops and start menus. Then the network will work. Then its adding wus nod32 and the Intranet. I will be taking an image of the server when its complete. virtulization would be the way forward, possibly when I have time but more likely when I upgrade the servers again in 3 years time.
DMcCoy Posted September 15, 2010 Posted September 15, 2010 Which x64 OS? 2008R2 has very good image based (with bare metal recovery) backup built in. Useful when you don't need a full backup regime, but spent a while getting a server built. 2008 non R2 is ok, but no bare metal restore iirc.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now