Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

How to stop users viewing the network on Windows 7?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

I have a domain where we have changed the clients from XP over to windows 7. This is one of multiple domains in the school, so we don't want users to be able to view the network.

 

I have managed through a couple of registry hacks and an adm template to hide all references to the network in windows explorer, however the file open/save dialogs don't respect this setting and the entire network is browsable.

 

I managed to control this behaviour in windows xp by using the policies "no entire network in network locations" and "no computers near me in network locations", but these policies are supported on "Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 operating systems only".

 

Can anyone help with any suggestion to stop users being able to see and browse the network in this way?

 

I have scoured the group policies but I haven't yet been able to track down a setting that will let me control this behaviour.

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

network shot.JPG

Posted

Hi jamesfed,

 

Thanks for your response.

 

Could you confirm whether this is controlled by the policies in Link-Layer Topology in Admin Templates - Network?

 

I have already disabled the following computer policies:

Computer Configuration -->> Administrative Templates -->> Network -->> Link-Layer Topology Discovery -->> Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO) driver

 

Computer Configuration -->> Administrative Templates -->> Network -->> Link-Layer Topology Discovery -->> Turn on Responder (RSPNDR) driver

 

However I still have the same problem.

Posted

This took a bit of working out but I do have an answer now. I managed to get this one solved using another adm template based on EJWill's - see http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/46809-windows-7-removing-libraries.html#post430548

 

Using this as a basis and finding more information about 64 bit windows 7 registry keys needing to be changed in the wow6432node location (see step 9 on Libraries Folder - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane - Windows 7 Forums) I put together the following adm which does the trick - even on open/save dialogs that I didn't expect it to work on.

 

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY "Windows 7 Open and Save Navigation Items"
POLICY "Hide Libraries"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962227469
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2961178893
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Homegroup"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{B4FB3F98-C1EA-428d-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962489612
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2961441036
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Networking"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962489444
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2953052260
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Computer"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962489612
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2961441036
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Favourites"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2839544064
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2693792000
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Control Panel"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2693791748
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2684354564
END POLICY
END CATEGORY;

 

For some additional hiding of features I have used some registry fragments imported in a startup script to remove the libraries pane from the open/save dialogs and windows explorer, and also remove the navigation pane from windows explorer - I know I can do this with GP prefs but haven't had time to look at that yet.

I haven't been able to lock down access to the "organise" button yet where pupils and staff can change these settings, but they are currently reset every time they log in so I'm hoping that's good enough to get them started.

 

I hope that saves someone some time anyway :)

  • Thanks 1
  • 5 years later...
Posted
This took a bit of working out but I do have an answer now. I managed to get this one solved using another adm template based on EJWill's - see http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/46809-windows-7-removing-libraries.html#post430548

 

Using this as a basis and finding more information about 64 bit windows 7 registry keys needing to be changed in the wow6432node location (see step 9 on Libraries Folder - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane - Windows 7 Forums) I put together the following adm which does the trick - even on open/save dialogs that I didn't expect it to work on.

 

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY "Windows 7 Open and Save Navigation Items"
POLICY "Hide Libraries"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962227469
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2961178893
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Homegroup"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{B4FB3F98-C1EA-428d-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962489612
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2961441036
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Networking"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962489444
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2953052260
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Computer"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2962489612
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2961441036
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Favourites"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2839544064
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2693792000
END POLICY
POLICY "Hide Control Panel"
	KEYNAME "Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\ShellFolder"
	VALUENAME Attributes
	VALUEON NUMERIC 2693791748
	VALUEOFF NUMERIC 2684354564
END POLICY
END CATEGORY;

 

For some additional hiding of features I have used some registry fragments imported in a startup script to remove the libraries pane from the open/save dialogs and windows explorer, and also remove the navigation pane from windows explorer - I know I can do this with GP prefs but haven't had time to look at that yet.

I haven't been able to lock down access to the "organise" button yet where pupils and staff can change these settings, but they are currently reset every time they log in so I'm hoping that's good enough to get them started.

 

I hope that saves someone some time anyway :)

 

Yeah I've used this reg-hack for this reason to stop the year 8 "hackers" poking about. I don't think there's a cleaner way provided by default from M$.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...