Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I need to generate a new SSL cert for our exchange 2007 box however I can't remember what goes where anymore we have a wildcard cert but this isn't allowed by exchange I believe so here the example.

 

Server Name Internally exch.domain.internal, exch (netbios), Externally its exch.school.lea.sch.uk

 

In the following boxes is this right?

 

 

Common Name: exch.domain.internal

 

Subject Alternative Names:

exch.domain.internal

exch

exch.school.lea.sch.uk

 

Organization: our school

Department: IT Services

City:Walsall

State:West Midlands

Country:United Kingdom

Key Size:2048

 

 

 

 

Wes

Posted
If the cert is being used for you external users web mail, should the common name be exch.school.lea.sch.uk? other wise the cert wont match the url outside the network.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Our setup would be somethink like:

 

CN: mail.college.ac.uk

SN: mail.college.ac.uk

ORG: College

Dept: IT Services

City: Redditch

Cou: UK

 

Also you need to import the cert using the powershell:

Import-ExchangeCertificate -path c:\mailcrt.pem | Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services IMAP, POP, IIS

 

I also had to enable the new cert after i imported it:

 

Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint {thumbprint of new cert} -Services IMAP, POP, IIS

 

I hope this helps

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Well we'll be using the setup internally as well however some may just use the internal name not the external will I have to modify it to allow this?

 

Wes

Posted

No you will be fine, just make the external work as you can make it a trusted site internally to rid users of warnings thats its an invalid SSL, I did that at work and it didnt' cause any issues and no-one noticed.

 

BUT You may find that with your SAN on your certificate that you may have enough names to put your internal name on it as well which is one way around it, they realise that they dont need to verify exch.school.internal so just approve that bit that may help you out as iwth Exchange 2007 and 2010 you need multiple names on the SSL certificate

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...