Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Starting at beginning ....

Teacher XP laptop returned to me as was infected with alsorts of stuff.

 

It still had orig ghost image on its D drive so I restored it to my orig deployment setting.

 

Decided it would be good idea to load defender on before handing back this time - did WGA - did Defender install - borked on needing Windows Update 3.1 installing.

 

Went onto IE -Tools -Windows Update - ended up with a web page telling me to upgrade to IE6 !!!

 

Thought - never mind - I'll load in SP2 from my utility CD - did that - still thinks I have IE5.

 

Downloaded IE7 - installed - ran - still thinks I've got IE5 :lol:

 

Any ideas people?

 

regards

Simon

PS Not at laptop again till next week but any suggestions welcome in meantime

 

PPS - tried another machine to make sure it wasn't something to do with school I'm at - it went onto Windows Update fine.

Posted
Has it had its version number set to something else by Group Policy? I've had this recently in that IE7 seemed to modify some GP settings the I didnt read and instead of providing a user tag on your browser string it now modifies the version data in the string, as a result Win Update fails as does a new webmail system.
Posted
@simon, yeah on mine as soon as I tried it on a laptop that had no GPs on it I knew it had to be a GP thing really, but if yours is not on GP then I don't think in this case that is your problem

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...