ronanian Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 If I change the SSL certificate on one of my web sites, will users get a warning from their browser that the certificate has changed? It would be a fully valid, properly signed certificate, but a different one than it was before. I think I'm just confused, remembering how PuTTY warns me if an ssh server's certificate has changed...but I want to make sure.
powdarrmonkey Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 PuTTY is not warning you of a certificate change, it's a public key change and you should take damn good notice when it happens. As for SSL, most browsers will not care. There is a plugin for Firefox that plugs (heh) this gap however, and it will care and warn the user. 1
ronanian Posted July 20, 2010 Author Posted July 20, 2010 Well, I just tried it. Web browsers definitely don't care. When you do it to Outlook Web Access, people using the regular Outlook local client also are affected and Outlook does care. I have users getting warnings about it...
ronanian Posted July 21, 2010 Author Posted July 21, 2010 Update: It wasn't the change of certificate, it was the fact that I put in a wildcard certificate. I guess Exchange doesn't like wildcard certificates.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now