soapyfish Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 Hi Everyone, I currently have 4 Domain controllers which are providing authentication, profiles,home drives, etc. All the data is hosted on a SAN (hitachi SMS 100) rather than physically on each server. My Question is rather than having all the users home drives being mapped to. We are also running CC3 currently. \\server-name\sharename\ Could I address them in some way similar to \\school domain\sharename \
kili Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 Hi Everyone, I currently have 4 Domain controllers which are providing authentication, profiles,home drives, etc. All the data is hosted on a SAN (hitachi SMS 100) rather than physically on each server. My Question is rather than having all the users home drives being mapped to. We are also running CC3 currently. \\server-name\sharename\ Could I address them in some way similar to \\school domain\sharename \ Yes just do an ip config and you will see your "primary DNS suffix" just use that i.e. \\your domain.forestroot.local\sharename kili
soapyfish Posted July 9, 2010 Author Posted July 9, 2010 (edited) Hi, ok I have the "primary DNS suffix" do I need to change the "forestroot.local" to something specific for the site ? Edited July 9, 2010 by soapyfish Spelling
kili Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 yse forest.local is an example Imaginary wide area network. Based on a windows 2003 wan Education dept wan is called eduwan.local You’re a school within that wan. You school is called school1 so you’re a subsite of the forest root eduwan.local so your primary dns suffix would be \\ school1.eduwan.local ( The .local suffix indicates that you are not an Internet entity i.e .com) A way of setting this up would be to use DFS for your shares. Do you use/know of DFS as this would be a way forward an example drive mapping to a users home folder \\domainname.forestroot.local\DFS\Home Folders\Students\2006\06BloggsJ I’m afraid to give you an explanation of DFS would take to long but if you have the time look into Distributed File System which will allow you to organise multiple shared folders or targets into a logical name space of roots and links 1
soapyfish Posted July 9, 2010 Author Posted July 9, 2010 Ok thanks for that, now for some reading up on DFS.
CHR1S Posted July 9, 2010 Posted July 9, 2010 Does anyone use DFS on CC3 ? I would imagine CC3 would be a pain to use with a DFS without some input from RM as their shares and links are hard coded into a lot of stuff and requires specific mapped drives as well.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now