CyberNerd Posted December 22, 2006 Posted December 22, 2006 The problem: Connect Wii to broadband. (clearly an xmass project ) I don't have: wireless access point a wired network card for the wii I do have: Wii with built in wireless wired broadband router laptop, that connects to wired broadband router borrowed wireless card for laptop Xububtu Question: Is there a way of creating a bridge between the wirless nic and the wired nic on the laptop and thus turning it into an access point- or do I need to turn the laptop into a router? If so where do i start. thanks
Ric_ Posted December 22, 2006 Posted December 22, 2006 Google gives a number of HOWTOs on this subject... "Linux AP" seems a reasonable search term... however I cannot find anything in particular to help you at the moment since the County [not so]smartfilter blocks them all :?
buzzard Posted December 22, 2006 Posted December 22, 2006 Google gives a number of HOWTOs on this subject... "Linux AP" seems a reasonable search term... however I cannot find anything in particular to help you at the moment since the County [not so]smartfilter blocks them all :? I know that feeling, damn helpful of them!
CyberNerd Posted December 22, 2006 Author Posted December 22, 2006 Thanks, sometimes all that is needed is 'thinking out of the box' when it comes to google search terms. Anyway I found this IBM page that deals with exactly what I need without any routing. Give me something interesting to do during the Queens' speech http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-wap.html
Geoff Posted December 22, 2006 Posted December 22, 2006 Also flick through the links here. http://www.linux-wireless.org/Wireless/AP/ The important thing to remember is that your Wifi cards drivers need to support: iwconfig xxx mode Master
john Posted December 23, 2006 Posted December 23, 2006 Just stick XP Pro on it and click the two network cards and select Bridge Connections, problem solved
CyberNerd Posted December 23, 2006 Author Posted December 23, 2006 Buying a dedicated access point would be cheaper, previous posts solved the problem. thanks though
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now