e_g_r Posted June 16, 2010 Posted June 16, 2010 For all you two wheeled warriors out there, this is for your information. To use a British waterways tow path out side of London you MAY need a Cycling Permit (Free) Follow this link for more information - Download a British Waterways cycling permit | Cycling | Things to do | Waterscape.com
SteveBentley Posted June 16, 2010 Posted June 16, 2010 Also cycling is explitly banned on some canals - there's a list on that site. Not that it seems to bother the cyclists who race around thinking they have right of way on the towpath of the Huddersfield Narrow, which they're turning into a mudbath despite being prohibited.
CHR1S Posted June 16, 2010 Posted June 16, 2010 I golf on a course next to a towpath, you should hear some of the arguments people have with cyclists etc! lol
ljlbray Posted June 16, 2010 Posted June 16, 2010 This is one of the cases where ignorance is bliss, as if you don't have one [they] can't take it off you. If you do have a permit, it can be taken off you, banning you from the canals...
sidewinder Posted June 16, 2010 Posted June 16, 2010 Have to be honest I dont really like cycling on towpaths anyway, some are very narrow and you do feel like you're just getting in everyones way, plus hit one rock and you could be in the water!
tech_guy Posted June 16, 2010 Posted June 16, 2010 I regularly do a fifteen mile stretch of the grand union in Warwickshire, and I only discovered recently that on the last six miles of it, cycling is prohibited - there are no signs warning of this. A fellow cyclist told me. He'd been stopped previously and warned for cycling along that stretch. I didn't know I actually needed a permit for the bits where cycling is allowed. Thanks for the heads-up and the link!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now