Gerry Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 Been given a problematic USB drive to try and copy files from - SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4Gb . It won't let me though! Keeps saying "cannot read from source file or disk" even though I can see contents. Properties shows 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. Can't use scandisk either - I ask XP to check the drive and nothing happens. I think the drive is knackered, probably beyond repair, but if anyone's got any tips/ideas, they'd be welcome. Thanks. P.S. XP and Ubuntu are both unable to copy from the drive.
round2it Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 try recova from the edugeek admin bar this has worked for me in the past
Gerry Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 Doesn't work. Recuva just loops trying to scan going from 0 days to 40ish days before going back to 0. Also % complete starts at something like 765748%!
Achandler Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 I can recommend WinHex then, sadly you have to purchase it (so depends on how valuble the data is ofcourse!). However Winhex, can open the drives through windows or "physically" if the drive was corrupt etc. I reckon from personal experience you'll be able to use the software to get the data off. I've got data off a drive that couldn't be opened at all by windows and made a constant ticking sound. Oh yeah there is a trial of winhex that gets you files under 200k only! That might work for you.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now