Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Afternoon all

 

We have a large amount of these Asus net books and until now we have been installing xp onto them, networking and then giving them to departments for students to use.

 

However they have been nothing but trouble as they are pretty poor at doign anything, they really dont like xp and once theyre networked it can take 15-20mins to log into them.

 

So i gather i take a look at one right out of the box with its linux install and asus's easy menu setup.

The only functionality we require is internet access and to create word docs which can then be saved to usb sticks, whihc right out of the box this works great, a quick entry of the proxy details and its sorted, it reads usb pens with no issues and it has open office installed, great!

 

But there is a slight issues with regards to the file manager as it allows you to browes local networks and for th elife of me i cant figure out a way to remove that option but am convinced there will be a way to do so.

 

has anyone had any experience with these at all?

 

thanks

Posted
its fully secure but itas browseable, when double clicking a device you get a username and password prompt which means they can connect to any pc on the network, what they can do exactly is probably not alot but we dont want to tempt fate..
Posted
for a workaround you could perhaps write some iptables firewall rules that stop samba from browsing the network, or use a local firewall on the network machines to stop the asus netbooks from browsing shares, but TBH I don't think it's really an issue if the network is already secure.
Posted
it shouldnt be an issue but when theyre are able to browse the entire network including the servers and can log onto all of these machines via this filemanager.. thats not good
Posted

Uninstall 'smbclient' using the terminal (Home Button + T, I think, I killed off Xandros on my netbook when I got it since I hated it with a passion, worst distro ever). Note that they will not be able to access any network share then, so if you want a share for these then you'll have to reinstall it (use install instead of uninstall :p).

 

sudo apt-get uninstall smbclient

 

 

Should be it.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I killed off Xandros on my netbook when I got it since I hated it with a passion

 

I'm just binning Xandros off an Asus because the school have not used the Asus for months, since they bought some 10 inch MSI's with xp on. I am current installing ubuntu 10.04 UNR on it.

Posted
I'm just binning Xandros off an Asus because the school have not used the Asus for months, since they bought some 10 inch MSI's with xp on. I am current installing ubuntu 10.04 UNR on it.

 

Yeah, the 10" MSIs are great, we have a few of them, along with a load of 701s. Ubuntu works reasonably well on the Eee, too, still not excellent since the hardware is lacking, but better than XP.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Uninstall 'smbclient' using the terminal (Home Button + T, I think, I killed off Xandros on my netbook when I got it since I hated it with a passion, worst distro ever). Note that they will not be able to access any network share then, so if you want a share for these then you'll have to reinstall it (use install instead of uninstall :p).

 

sudo apt-get uninstall smbclient

 

Should be it.

 

 

 

cool thanks, however when i try that im getting a invalid operation?

Posted
cool thanks, however when i try that im getting a invalid operation?

 

That's because I'm silly and so are the apt-get guys (use add/remove or install/uninstall, dammit, not a mixture :<)

 

sudo apt-get [b]remove[/b] smbclient

  • Thanks 1
Posted
would there be anyway of getting a networked printer installed? ive managed to add it via ip but i cannot get it to print at all?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...