mattx Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 I am thinking of taking a punt and investing in wine - anyone done anything similar ?
jamesb Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 I am thinking of taking a punt and investing in wine - anyone done anything similar ? Couldn't you just dual-boot into Windows, or set up a VirtualBox VM?
tech_guy Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 Couldn't you just dual-boot into Windows, or set up a VirtualBox VM? Lol - very witty.
mattx Posted April 13, 2010 Author Posted April 13, 2010 Oh surprise surprise the Edugeek police delete a 'nudge nudge wink wink' post which had an element of humor in - sad, pathetic and unnecessary.
RabbieBurns Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 I worked in a wine shop for 7 yrs while at Uni, and have developed a great passion for said alcoholic grape juice. Even more so now Im in a country that can replicate all the regions of france, spain, italy and iran (shiraz is their finest export!). Recently did a tour of the Barossa Valley in South Australia and tasted some fine fine wines. I have no idea about investing in wine as a profit making venture, but investing in wine for a great cellaring is something Id love to get into. The best idea I had whilst working in the shop was a couple who wanted 6 bottles of a 2002 that would cellar for 18 years, so they could open it on their daughters 18th birthday. Ive nicked that idea for when I have my first.
laserblazer Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 The 3 litre packs of wine are a con. They say they last for 6 weeks but I've yet to get 6 days out of one! I worked in a wine shop for 7 yrs while at Uni That was a long course rabbie.
sidewinder Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 Oh surprise surprise the Edugeek police delete a 'nudge nudge wink wink' post which had an element of humor in - sad, pathetic and unnecessary. I saw your reply...nothing wrong with it. lol @ it being deleted...rather ott
RabbieBurns Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 The 3 litre packs of wine are a con. They say they last for 6 weeks but I've yet to get 6 days out of one! That was a long course rabbie. Thats Dr. Rabbie if you please
DSapseid Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 my uncle owns some vines in the south of france and gets a couple of crates of wine every year from them. He has this year received the bottles from the 2005 crop!
mattx Posted April 19, 2010 Author Posted April 19, 2010 Did some more reading on the matter and found out it's un-regulated......... So not for me !! Never mind - I'll stick to drinking the stuff instead.
TechMonkey Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 There are specific wine investment companies that will source, store and help you out. Had one after me for investing but hadn't got the money at the time. Apparently there is big money to be made, especially in Asia. But it really is a long term investment. No idea how good they are but I think it was Capital Vinters that I talked to. I can attempt to dig out the paperwork from my pit... I mean extensive filing system if you want?
mattx Posted April 19, 2010 Author Posted April 19, 2010 I had one send me some stuff through but as soon as I read it was un-regulated alarm bells starting ringing..... The only reason I was looking was that the current returns on fixed rate bonds are rubbish at the moment - at least with the poxy banks most of your money is protected. I'll most probably end up doing a few 1 year fixed bonds instead of 5 and hope that rates improve next year. Saving money sucks at the moment - I just hope we don't end up like Japan a few years ago......
jamesb Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 On the other hand I'm actually interested now. Not in using it as a financial investment, but curious how much it costs to buy some vines and get those couple of crates each year. It'd be nice to have them coming in as a treat now and then.
mattx Posted April 19, 2010 Author Posted April 19, 2010 If you are starting out, they suggest at least a £5000 to £10,000 for a decent return...... Just be prepared to drink your mistakes.
dhicks Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 I am thinking of taking a punt and investing in wine - anyone done anything similar? No, but I was at a function the other day where somebody brought out a bottle of whisky the same age as me, which got me thinking. There's probably a market for 18 / 21 / etc year-old bottles of wine / whisky, and a quick Google search brings up a couple of companies that speacialise in that kind of thing. Cask-strength whisky is going to take less space to store than wine - you could invest in a company that does old bottles of whisky. -- David Hicks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now