Jambo_C Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 Hi, I have a file server that seems to be having some strange issues with permissions. The main issue being that it appears to be ignoring write/modify permissions. I have an share called templates where staff can store things for students to view. Staff have full access to this share (which works fine) and students have read only access. However, I need to create a folder in this area that students have full access to. I have created the folder and given them full access but they still get "access denied" when creating a new folder or trying to save to there. I've even added "everyone" to the permissions and given them full access and it still doesn't work. I've turned inherited permissions off on the folder. I also need to do this for some software I'm installing, I'm installing it to an applications share on the server that the kids have read access to but the actual folder that contains the software requires them to have write access, again this is proving a problem. Am I being stupid here and missing something obvious or trying to do something that can't be done, I'm sure I have done it before though? Cheers.
powdarrmonkey Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 There are two sets of permissions in Windows - NTFS and share. Check that you haven't got read-only set in one of them that's taking precedence over the other.
Jambo_C Posted April 8, 2010 Author Posted April 8, 2010 Hi, The folder I'm wanting them to write to isn't shared itself, it's just inside a shared folder. If I give them change permissions on the actual share it works but I don't want them to be able to create folders and edit things within the actual share, just the folder within it. Cheers.
powdarrmonkey Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 You need to learn how permissions are constructed and applied. NTFS Permissions Overview & Restrictions., Windows 2003 NTFS and Share Permissions
Jambo_C Posted April 8, 2010 Author Posted April 8, 2010 I thought I did know! Think it's been that long since I've messed around with them that i've missed some bits. I'll have a read of those pages when I have some time.
glennda Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 you need to set them to have read + write permissions on the share then set the ntfs permissions so that they can then only read some files while write to others Toby
waldronm2000 Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 If students only have read permition on the share, this is the most they will be able to do in that share or any subfolder accessed via that share. If you want students to be able to create files or folders anywhere in the share, you willl need to grant Change permission to the students for the share, and Modify NTFS permissions (or a customised variation depending on exactly what they should be able to do) for the subfolder they can add stuff to. However, before granting the extra share permissions, you must ensure that all other resources within the share that you don't want them to modify have had their NTFS permissions locked down.
Jambo_C Posted April 9, 2010 Author Posted April 9, 2010 Cheers, I'd figured that was what I'd need to do. Of course, if I don't want them to be able to create new folders in the actualy Templates share I could create a seperate share on the server that they have access to and then place a shortcut to it in the templates share. Cheers.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now