_Bat_ Posted November 6, 2006 Posted November 6, 2006 Does anyone know any easy ways of stopping these causing problems for us... especially when doing things such as designing a website. I have had problems before when FTP'ing but now i'm having difficulty seeing changes I have made to the site, especially with flash... in fact I think I can put most of the problems I have had with designing the site down to the cache on the server. What an absolute pain...
mrforgetful Posted November 6, 2006 Posted November 6, 2006 Have you cleared your IE cache? Are you using ISA Server or something else? Tried disabling the cache on that?
Ric_ Posted November 6, 2006 Posted November 6, 2006 You could add the site's address to the list of sites to access without using the proxy. Unless of course you have to go through a proxy and then you are a little stuck.
_Bat_ Posted November 6, 2006 Author Posted November 6, 2006 It's definately not a local cache. The cache server is a Linux box installed by our LEA before I arrived here... I have never touched it before (apart from to reboot it) and I hope I never have to (while I love Linux, I don't know it anywhere near as well as I know windows). Unfortunately it does have to all go through that proxy, there is no other route. It wasn't so bad with just FTP... there was small ways around that with what I was doing at the time (renaming files and their sizes etc.) but since I installed a flash module its been a problem. I only realised it was the cache because I tried to fix a problem with it last week and my solution "didn't work". I come in this morning and it works fine. I tried to make some more changes a few mins ago and its still reloading the old flash module. It's starting to bug me now... it may end up in that smashed computer component pile gathering up outside my window. How many of you got your own internet connection purely for your own use at work? I know someone who did that.
Geoff Posted November 6, 2006 Posted November 6, 2006 I tried to make some more changes a few mins ago and its still reloading the old flash module. It's starting to bug me now... it may end up in that smashed computer component pile gathering up outside my window. If the Linux box is running Squid, holding Shift and pressing refresh should force the cache to fetch a new copy of the page. However it's your own fault. If you're serving dynamic content, you need to include 'pragma: non-cache' in your site's HTTP headers. Squid is just guessing what to do otherwise. How many of you got your own internet connection purely for your own use at work? I know someone who did that. Check the T&C's of your RBC provided connection. It's likely it'll forbid you installing another net connection.
_Bat_ Posted November 6, 2006 Author Posted November 6, 2006 However it's your own fault. heheh, thanks for that vote of confidence, Geoff If you're serving dynamic content, you need to include 'pragma: non-cache' in your site's HTTP headers. I wasn't aware of that, i'll add it now. Thanks. Check the T&C's of your RBC provided connection. It's likely it'll forbid you installing another net connection. I said it in jest really... there is no way the school would accept paying for something that only I am going to use, heh heh. I always buy my own tools (such as screwdrivers, IDE to laptop IDE cable etc.) i'm not sure how normal that is. I guess I just get to keep them in the end.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now