mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 Force password change at next login in GPO ? Am I missing something or is this missing from 2003 ?
ascott2 Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 (edited) As far I can tell, no, there isn't any way to do this through GPO. You could use a tool like Active User Manager which you can manually force the change. I think it uses dsedit to change the properties on mass. Edited March 1, 2010 by ascott2 Added link 1
powdarrmonkey Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 It's never been a group policy option, it's part of the users' properties in the directory. 1
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 Thanks people - just did a right click on a load of users and went to the Properties --> Account tab - have changed a few things there, also now forced a password change policy.
glennda Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 select them all open up properties and then tick the tick box under account, theres only stuff like setting complexity and how long they can go for without changing
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 I've noticed the settings in regards to the polices do not take effect - [ passwords remembered etc ] - I would assume they will when users are forced to again in 30 days.....[ I hope ]
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 (edited) Oh well, yet another policy that refuses to work - tried testing it with the lockout after 3 attempts but nope - even after forcing a gpupdate and trying the settings on both a User OU and a workstation OU - am I surprised ? No - It's only microsoft after all..... HA HA HA -does not even work if you change the Default Domain Policy !!!! Edited March 1, 2010 by mattx
powdarrmonkey Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 I've noticed the settings in regards to the polices do not take effect - [ passwords remembered etc ] - I would assume they will when users are forced to again in 30 days.....[ I hope ] Yes, they should do. Oh well, yet another policy that refuses to work - tried testing it with the lockout after 3 attempts but nope - even after forcing a gpupdate and trying the settings on both a User OU and a workstation OU - am I surprised ? No - It's only microsoft after all..... If this is Server 2003, you can only set these options in the domain default policy, which IIRC also needs a reboot to take effect.
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 Yes, they should do. If this is Server 2003, you can only set these options in the domain default policy, which IIRC also needs a reboot to take effect. You are kidding ? I have to re-boot the entire Server just to change a bleeding password policy ? Is this a joke ?
powdarrmonkey Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 You are kidding ? I have to re-boot the entire Server just to change a bleeding password policy ? Is this a joke ? No no no, just the workstation
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 No no no, just the workstation I was going to say !!! Well I've done that and it's still not working......
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 Funny, I waved my rubber mallett and at DC and it started working......
elsiegee40 Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 Funny, I waved my rubber mallett and at DC and it started working...... A muttered threat about the nearby open window seems to revive our ICT Suite printers pretty quickly too!
powdarrmonkey Posted March 1, 2010 Posted March 1, 2010 Funny, I waved my rubber mallett and at DC and it started working...... Smooth
mattx Posted March 1, 2010 Author Posted March 1, 2010 Although I now wait for the influx of tickets and calls from staff in the morning as they try and logon and either get locked out or can't work out what: 'Change your password' Actually means.......
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now