Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/core-enhancements/file-management/8570

 

Someone has basically modified Extplorer plugin to work from the front end as a simple and easy to use file uploader :)

 

This makes is easy for teachers to upload video's and mp3s for insertion into articles (I'm currently using AllVideos plugin to show these)

 

Its a bit strange to set up as you install it as normal and then basically create an article with this in it

 

{jsmallfib}

 

I've set this up as an article called File Uploader and made it restricted and stuck it in my Staff Room category and then just linked to it from my User editing menu

 

regards

 

Simon

[edit]added link[/edit]

Edited by SimpleSi
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Does the version reffed by my link work Ok for you?

 

regards

 

Simon

I imagine so, it's a different plugin to the one I downloaded. Just doing it now.

Posted (edited)

Sparkeh, install it and let me know if you get a PHP error at the bottom of the page.

 

I'm wondering, how do I get it to start at /site as I already have media uploaded so I'd like to be able to navigate from the top through the files.

 

According to the URL I see when I hover over 'top level' it's already looking at the right location /httpdocs/site but there's no files displayed.

 

Do I have to create a seperate folder just for this tool and all media will go in to there?

Edited by Edu-IT
Posted

Theres also JFU

 

JFU advantages

Multiple file upload so great for picture gallerys

 

Disadvantages

3MB files limit so no good for vids/podcasts (unless you pay for it :) )

 

Non-standard interface - certainly throws me each time I use it. :(

 

When I update my older websites I add in JFU but now I'm going to add in both and going to demo both and provide documentation to the teachers and let them choose which they'd like to use.

 

regards

 

Simon

 

PS I also install joomlafck as my editor of choice for teachers as its like an IPhone - does what it says it does and actually works :)

 

I use JCE for admin editor as its sometimes useful for its extra features but I find it very flaky and designed for a 2048x1700 multiple monitor dispay :lol:

Posted (edited)
Do I have to create a seperate folder just for this tool and all media will go in to there?

 

I've just set the default to stories/images as I've already got a class folder structure set up there and didn't want to replicate/manage and confuse the teachers with 2 folder tree structures.

[edit] no leading / in path name [/edit]

 

regards

 

Simon

Edited by SimpleSi
Posted
I've just set the default to /stories/images as I've already got a class folder structure set up there and didn't want to replicate/manage and confuse the teachers with 2 folder tree structures.

 

regards

 

Simon

How did you do that? Mine is showing nothing.

Posted

Just set this up on another of my sites

installed plugin

enabled it

went into plugin settings and changed 1st parameter to images/stories (NOT /images/stories as prev said :oops: )

 

created dummy article with just {jsmallfib} in it and saved it to staff room section/category and made it restricted access.

 

Added link to article from my edit menu. (make it a new window with browser nav BTW)

 

Robert is a close familiy relation to your mother :)

 

regards

Simon

(Just tested that it actually uploads and it does :) )

 

My sites are 1.5.x but operate in legacy mode in case that makes any diff.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...