ben_snclc Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 Hi I've setup a VM using Sun VirtualBox as I work on a Mac. Everything is working fine and the VM is functioning as it should. Now i want to move this to our 2008 R2 server. I have two options here. One is to convert the Sun Virtual box files to HyperV format so i can run these from the server or the other alternative is to install virtual box on the server as well as HyperV and copy the files over. I really would like to convert the machine to HyperV. I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to get anywhere. I was just wondering if any of you guys have done the same and could give me a point in the right direction? Thanks, Ben
SYNACK Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 You could go from Virtualbox format to VMware to VHD using the following tools VMware Communities: Convert VirtualBox VDI file to VMDK ... MakeVM: Virtul machine and virtual disk management and conversion utility for VMWare, Parallels and Virtual PC Files: VMDK(VMWare) to VHD Converter Or try running disk2VHD in the virtual machine to make a VHD of it. Running two seporate types of virtualisation can cause massive issues, especially if they are both attempting to use VT extentions which they would need to to run 64bit Server 2008 R2. Disk2vhd Microsoft Releases FREE Disk 2 VHD Utility - Charles Aunger - IT Strategy, Solutions and General information on Enterprise Technology - 1
AngryTechnician Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 I've had nothing but good experiences using Disk2VHD for P2V, so I would rate that as a good option.
m25man Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 Or try running disk2VHD in the virtual machine to make a VHD of it. Running two seporate types of virtualisation can cause massive issues, especially if they are both attempting to use VT extentions which they would need to to run 64bit Server 2008 R2. Dont forget to uninstall any "Virtualbox Additions" from the VDI before you convert it to VHD!
kingswood Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 I've had nothing but good experiences using Disk2VHD for P2V, so I would rate that as a good option. I would second this- and also the advice to uninstall your VBox additions before carrying out the conversion (although I have actually carried out a conversion without doing this and without anything bad happening). Paul
ben_snclc Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 Thanks Guys! It worked fine. I can now create everything i need on a testing machine and then swap it over to HyperV using the conversion tool. Mint
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now