boogster Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 Hi All Newbie to this site so apologise if this has already been mentioned. I would like to attempt the SIMS SQL Migration from 2005 to 2008. I know Capita deadline is Oct 2010 but I have a few new servers to install early Jan. A company has quoted £300 to do this but I know my way round a server etc and was wondering whether anyone had a tutorial or guide on exactly how to do this. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
teejay Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 All the info is on Capita Supportnet, pm me if you can't find it and I'll email it to you. 1
zag Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 Capita supply the instructions, its not difficult to do.
GardnerITLtd Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 I am about to do the same, Crapita are charging 250 before Christmas or £450 in April! What a rip off!
synaesthesia Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 £250 here if ordered before end of this year and £350 thereafter. Not sure I'd expect much less, costwise.
GardnerITLtd Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 Yeah for sure, but how long will it take realistically!? It's not relative to other charges
synaesthesia Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 Half day job, or so I'm told. How long it actually takes, I've no idea. Imagine that depends on the size of the databases too. On which note the above prices may well just be primaries.
Cache Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 The bursar was quite willing to pay for Capita to come in and do ours so I just filled out the order form. Since Capita had a problem getting dbattach to work properly after they migrated SIMS to a new server over the summer I'll let them go ahead and do it and save me having to spend hours trying to get it to work properly. Also gives me the comeback of everything on the server is your doing at the moment so you fix it which since it's my first time dealing with supporting SIMS I'm quite happy to have at the moment.
GardnerITLtd Posted December 9, 2009 Posted December 9, 2009 I'd much rather do it myself and charge the school myself! I only deal with primaries at the moment, so the db is quite small. Also in my experience Crapita engineers and staff aren't as clued up as they claim
boogster Posted December 9, 2009 Author Posted December 9, 2009 GardnerIT That was exactly my way of thinking. I too only support Primary Schools with pretty small DB's. As long as I make sure I back up the DB's as standard then I am thinking...if it fails then at least the data will be in tact. TeeJay Many thanks for sending over docs etc...will come in really handy. I was having a read up and it mentioned that Capita Disk includes SQLExpress and migration tool....Do they send this out to schools or do the school have to request one?
techie08 Posted December 15, 2009 Posted December 15, 2009 Ive just had a phone call from capita today saying about this which i never knew about. Does this mean they are forcing us to upgrade? and if we dont are they not going to support us?
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2009 Posted December 15, 2009 Ive just had a phone call from capita today saying about this which i never knew about. Does this mean they are forcing us to upgrade? and if we dont are they not going to support us? I think by the middle of next year they're wanting everyone to have upgraded, but don't quote me on this.
boogster Posted December 15, 2009 Author Posted December 15, 2009 Ive just had a phone call from capita today saying about this which i never knew about. Does this mean they are forcing us to upgrade? and if we dont are they not going to support us? You have until Oct 2010 to have the SQL2008 upgrade. After this SIMS and all Solus upgrades will not work and I presume knowing Capita they will not support it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now