localzuk Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 I've got an application which sends emails out via an external SMTP server. It currently uses the poor practice of having the server address, username and password details stored within the code itself. A nightmare for maintenance. So, I want to know if there's some easy way to store this config for use. I don't want the password stored in plaintext is the problem. I'd also prefer not to have to have the user enter their password each time the program opens either. Suggestions?
powdarrmonkey Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 Investigate the System.Security.Cryptography and System.IO namespaces.
localzuk Posted December 8, 2009 Author Posted December 8, 2009 I've now discovered this Using Credential Management in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Which looks like it does what I will want it to do. 1
LosOjos Posted January 6, 2010 Posted January 6, 2010 Thanks for bringing this to my attention localzuk, it'll come in very handy for a couple of SIMS/Access projects I'm working on
localzuk Posted January 6, 2010 Author Posted January 6, 2010 I found a slight issue with it in the end. The SecureString object type has very limited uses at the moment. Until the next version of the .Net framework comes out anyway.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now