Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

SuSE 10.1 display frequency


Recommended Posts

Posted

Im a bit of a linux virgin, so could do with some help on something that is probably very simple....

 

I have installed SuSE 10.1 and when the system boots up i get the error message on the monitor that the refesh frequency is out of range...how can i change the frequency, i could do it in windows in seconds. but done have a clue when it comes to linux.

 

Thanks.

Posted
SuSe 10.1 has a failsafe mode defined in the bootloader. Boot to failsafe and either run yast or sax2 as root to reset the refresh settings. or as Geoff pointed out edit the xorg.conf file by hand. Best to use the lowest possible settings then work upwards.
Posted

I had the same problem with a server I installed it on recently. Even for the installation routine, it bumped the resolution/refresh rate up to 1024x768@87hz. Of course none of my TFTs could handle that so I had to go and grab a 17" CRT so I could see what I was installing. I assumed the VGA chip on the motherboard (an old Rage XL which still seems to be popular with the server board manufacturers) couldn't interrogate the monitor to get its supported modes or something as installing it on a workstation with an integrated Radeon didn't produce that problem.

 

After it was installed, I didn't care as I accessed the console over SSH.

 

The really daft thing is, OpenSuSE 10 doesn't do it. I installed it on the same server today (Because Zimbra doesn't work properly on 10.1) and everything displayed beautifully :|

Posted
It works for the most part on 10.1 but the spell checker doesn't run and the logging facility doesn't work on it either. In the end, it was easier to download 10.0 and install it on that, at least that is an officially supported distro.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...