Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was handed some new software yesterday to put on the network as an update - Numeracy Workouts.

 

Basically, there's an exe file of about 5meg and that's all. I copied it to the network share and set up software restrictions etc. It works fine on my machine - click and load instantly.

 

But when the kids try to load it it takes forever (about 2 or 3 mins) to load - it gets there eventually and doesnt have any errors.

 

Any idea what might be causing this? We're CC3. I've tried giving users full rights to the folder where the software resides.

Posted
Fire up Filemon and look out for a huge wedge of access denied errors as it tries to write it's temp files somewhere wierd and wonderful, cycles through this with various directories, then lands at one the kids have write access to?
Posted

Also on the discs was a VLE folder, which includes a HTML file and a SWF file. I copied these to the shared area and created a shortcut to these instead of the EXE files.

 

Works fine now - just loads up in a browser instead of a standalone app.

Posted
I was actually going to suggest that to you this morning. Where is the best place to put the copied files, RMPublic?

 

That's where I have put them and it works fine. Then just store the shortcuts in the Shortcut Bank.

 

I left the EXE's in place though, so the shortcut could use the icons embedded in them - makes them look prettier.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...