Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

An attempt to bulk convert some documents to full Office 2007 format (working around compatability mode wierdness) reveals we have certain people who will create a document on a shared directory that references a data source in their home directory.

 

I have a sneaking suspicion the rot has set in and this affects hundreds of files, but no way to check beyond opening them manually.

 

Is there a way of checking if a file at \\server\share\path\file.doc references: a) an external data source (.xls, .mdb) b) whether (with my current permissions) I can access that data source?

 

edit: Assuming I know the data path the culprits usually use (homedriveletter:\foldername) I can run strings on the documents on the shared area and grep for the paths, but is there a better (more reliable) way?

Edited by pete
Posted

References are held as a collection:

 

VBE.ActiveVBProject.References

 

never played with this but it was a suggestion for a problem I had. I find the best place for asking questions is VBA Express Portal . There is a few friendly MVPs on there and I always seem to get a good thorough answer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...