Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

Our Science department have some Easy Sense data loggers along with the serial cables and since the last batch of PC's we got no longer have serial ports it makes them rather redundant.

 

I've noticed on the Data Harvest Website they have some USB to Serial converters, anyone know if they need to be a specific type of cable or if I could find one cheaper elsewhere would that work (or is it just going to save a lot of hassle if we got them from Data Harvest)?

 

Thanks!

Posted
I've found mileage can vary with USB to serial adapters (especially on non Windows platforms), so I'd recommend if you want to buy cheap ones just buy one first to test with the loggers.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Most PCs have serial headers on the motherboard. Just get the header and pop it in, giving you native COMs. I cant even begin to tell you how much i wish we (read my boss) had bought them over eth USB to serial adaptors!

 

http://images.icecat.biz/img/norm/low/3595794-580.jpg

 

StarTech 9-Pin Serial / 10-Pin IDC Adapter - PLATE9MHD - Computer Cables » components - Micom Online Cheap Laptop, Computer, Components & More - Coventry

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...