Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all...

 

We have a strange issue here.

 

One of our users was having problems logging onto the network, and it was not obvious from AD, so we removed his account from AD (deleted not just disabled), and recreated a new working AD account. We also created a new exchange account to reflect this, and removed any disconnected mailboxes relating to the old account. The Exchange console only shows the one new account for exchange as does AD, all good so far. Also imported all his mail from the old PST file, and re-imported, so the user is happy.

 

Had a phone call from one of the Assistant Heads today, saying he sent out an email to a number of people including said user. He typed in part of the email addresses for everyone, but got an error saying the user who's account we re-created was not recieved. Everyone else worked okay. I have double checked the accounts in AD, and Exchange, and also sent test emails out to said user, which have not been bounced back. Either there is some sort of entry 'hanging around' in the GAL (don't think so) or the entry has been kept on the Assistant head's Full version of Outlook (in some sort of cached contacts list :(). Is there anyway to clean this out, or check the entry's in AD/GAL?

 

We are not using the offline address book here, so I don't think that is it. Any ideas?

 

Regards,

 

_techie_

  • 10 months later...
Posted

Hi I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and resolved it as I am having the same problem.

 

I deleted some users who have now left weeks ago and staff who use OWA or Microsoft outlook on machines around the building, can still see these old users.

 

It seems different users can see different deleted users. For example I see a colleague who left but my colleague cannot see that colleague when he logs in.

 

Seems like some sort of caching issue.

 

On the exchange server I have run the following commands:

 

update-globaladdresslist -identity "Default Global Address List" -domaincontroller {domain controller names} Ran this command for both of our DC's.

get-offlineaddressbook | update-offlineaddressbook

 

Left it for 24 hours and it seems like it has cleared some but some old users can still be searched.

 

When I run the update-globaladdresslist -identity "Default Global Address List" command I do get some yellow warning messages which say:

 

WARNING: The recipient "Domain name/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OAB

Version 2" is invalid and could not be updated.

WARNING: The recipient "Domain name/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OAB

Version 3a" is invalid and could not be updated.

WARNING: The recipient "Domain name/Microsoft Exchange System

Objects/Offline Address Book - \/o=school name\/cn=addrlists\/cn=oa" is

invalid and could not be updated.

 

I think these messages are related to why the old users are not clearing.

 

Any suggestions on what I could do to resolve this?

 

Thanks

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Is anyone able to advise me on this? I am really struggling on how to resolve this.

 

We did a transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007 back in August 2009 and whilst 99% of our users use OWA2007, users were able to see the global address list but recently and since we have upgraded to office 2010 some of our users who want to use the Outlook 2010 client are not able to see the address list. These clients have been setup with cached mode enabled btw.

 

In fact it seems that no OAB exists on the server. On the Exchange server under program files, Exchange server, clientAccess, OAB. The folder is there but the contents are empty.

 

We have tested, if we turn off Cached mode on the client, the address book works because obviouslly its not using the OAB anymore and more likely the GAL.

 

When we look on the Exchange Server we have the following logs:

 

OALGen failed to read the objectGuid attribute from offline address book (OAB) object '/o=************/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address Book' in Active Direcotry. Please check security settings on this object. OAB generation will not be performed.

 

OALGen encountered error ffffffff while initializing the offline address list generation process. No offline address lists have been generated. Please check the event log for more information. - /o=**********/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address Book

 

All I want to do is recreate the folders in the OAB because I think that will resolve the issue.

 

I have had a look at our our AD and that is fine. We have 2 X 2008 Domain controllers and I have ran DCDIAG and it has passed all tests.

 

Has anyone seen this? Can anyone help? I am sure the problem must have come from when we did the transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

 

Thank you

Edited by ranj
change

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...