RabbieBurns Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 just received this email from the old dear... thought Id put it up on here to see what others could recommend, as its not something Ive done before... I want to start transferring our family videos onto the wd drive. I've been checking out devices and need your advice which is the simplest and most cost effective to use. Ideally I'd just like to plug the laptop into the VCR at night and leave the tape running at night so it records directly onto the external hard drive. I know I need to get an get an external "VHS to DVD converter". Then I may want to edit or put the recording onto a disc at a later date. I really don't want another 'box' with loads of leads. Just a simple connection. These are what I have found so far: Dazzle Video Creator Plus USB 2.0 Express Capture for DVD - USB Video Capture device, SVID2USB2 VideoHome Deluxe, the easy way to convert and edit your: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo Roxio Creator 2009 Special Edition with VHS to DVD Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Software Magix Rescue Your Videotapes: Amazon.co.uk: Software (this looks simple to use) Please let me know what you think asap as I really want to clear the backlog of tapes that we have. I'd also like to be able to plug it into our old camcorder and try to rescue some of those tapes. Thanks.
mac_shinobi Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 (edited) Pinnacle do some good products may be worth looking at what they do. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Maker-Quickly-Transfer-Tapes/dp/B000J5694W]Amazon.com: Pinnacle DVD Maker Plus Quickly Transfer Vhs Tapes To Dvd: Software[/ame] look at reviews at bottom ( just as one example ) Might be worth a look on videohelp.com and doom9.org for free things but normally pinnacle have been pretty good when I have used there stuff. Edited September 28, 2009 by mac_shinobi
mattx Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 Just got one of these for the school: ION VCR 2 PC - USB VHS Ripping Made Easy The picture quality is very good - you can tweak the settings too. makes my life easier. I stick in the MPEG afterwards in .AVI NET - avi.NET - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com for even better compression......
Gerry Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 I've recently bought this from Pinnacle: Digital video transfer made easy with the Pinnacle Video Transfer Great if you want to watch from PC or mobile device, but having difficulty tranferring to DVD (and editing). It saves files as MP4 (H.264/AAC) and not many freeware apps work well with it. Those that do, I find audio sync to be a problem. Then when I finally sorted it out (by transcoding into an AVI), I tried to create an iso image with DVD Flick/DVDStyler, and the audio was out-of-sync again. Anyone got any good suggestions for software? Willing to buy something if it can handle MP4 well.
mattx Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 I've recently bought this from Pinnacle: Digital video transfer made easy with the Pinnacle Video Transfer Great if you want to watch from PC or mobile device, but having difficulty tranferring to DVD (and editing). It saves files as MP4 (H.264/AAC) and not many freeware apps work well with it. Those that do, I find audio sync to be a problem. Then when I finally sorted it out (by transcoding into an AVI), I tried to create an iso image with DVD Flick/DVDStyler, and the audio was out-of-sync again. Anyone got any good suggestions for software? Willing to buy something if it can handle MP4 well. VirtualDub How to open .MP4 files in virtualdub? (i want to sharpen mp4 - VideoHelp.com
mac_shinobi Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 (edited) handbrake HandBrake Think X to DVD is what you are after afaik ( paid for ) http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/ why not just get it to output the normal dvd file structure and use nero or free burning application to burn it to a dvd ( dvd rw ) and use something like imgburn to create an iso of that or create an iso of the dvd directory in the first place using imgburn http://www.imgburn.com Edited September 28, 2009 by mac_shinobi
Gerry Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 (edited) handbrake HandBrake Think X to DVD is what you are after afaik ( paid for ) AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD Download now why not just get it to output the normal dvd file structure and use nero or free burning application to burn it to a dvd ( dvd rw ) and use something like imgburn to create an iso of that or create an iso of the dvd directory in the first place using imgburn The Official ImgBurn Website That's basically what happens with DVDFlick - it encodes video and audio, combines them, creates the DVD structure, then uses ImgBurn to create an ISO or burn straight to DVD. I created an ISO then mounted with Gizmo to test. The audio was a fraction out of sync. After changing the MP4 to an Xvid AVI with Mediacoder, sync was fine. It's the actual DVD creation that has the problem. Mattx: I'd forgotten about mp4cam2avi, I'll give it a go tonight - see how fast it is. Edited September 28, 2009 by Gerry
mac_shinobi Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 That's basically what happens with DVDFlick - it encodes video and audio, combines them, creates the DVD structure, then uses ImgBurn to create an ISO or burn straight to DVD. I created an ISO then mounted with Gizmo to test. The audio was a fraction out of sync. After changing the MP4 to an Xvid AVI with Mediacoder, sync was fine. It's the actual DVD creation that has the problem. Mattx: I'd forgotten about mp4cam2avi, I'll give it a go tonight - see how fast it is. whenever Ive tried dvd flick ive had issues and although its free its always given me more problems then solutions whether its installing it or synch issues etc Just wondering if you try the trial version of X to dvd and see if you still have the same issues re synch etc
mac_shinobi Posted September 28, 2009 Posted September 28, 2009 I've got one of these: The Neuros OSD - Digitally Store and Easily Access your DVDs, VHS tapes and Video media | Neuros Technology It's a hardware solution that records to CF or USB. That's one way to go - also what's CF mean / stand for ?
Gerry Posted September 29, 2009 Posted September 29, 2009 Well, I've just tried ConvertXtoDVD and DVDFlick on my work PC to see if there was any difference to my home PC. Both times I had other apps running while the AVI->DVD process was going on. With DVDFlick audio was still out-of-sync a tiny fraction, but ConvertXtoDVD appeared to be perfect. Quite detailed DVD-related stuff it can do too and easier to use. £35 a bit steep IMO, because I could buy Pinnacle Studio 14 HD for around £31 GBP which will edit my MP4, and create a DVD...
mac_shinobi Posted September 29, 2009 Posted September 29, 2009 Well, I've just tried ConvertXtoDVD and DVDFlick on my work PC to see if there was any difference to my home PC. Both times I had other apps running while the AVI->DVD process was going on. With DVDFlick audio was still out-of-sync a tiny fraction, but ConvertXtoDVD appeared to be perfect. Quite detailed DVD-related stuff it can do too and easier to use. £35 a bit steep IMO, because I could buy Pinnacle Studio 14 HD for around £31 GBP which will edit my MP4, and create a DVD... maybe you could contact them either phone or email and mention that and they may do you a deal.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now