Michael Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 Morning all, It's my favourite day of the week (Friday) and I couldn't help but laugh and nearly fall off my chair reading that Twitter is estimated to be worth $1 billion. Then towards the end of the article: Although Twitter, as a company, still doesn't generate any revenue My company must be worth $20 billion at least then as I do generate revenue
jamesb Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 Makes you wonder what facebook is worth - given that they think they may actually make some money next year. I suppose it could be the value of the personal data they've gathered from users (mobile numbers for one) should they decide to sell it?
Michael Posted September 25, 2009 Author Posted September 25, 2009 I agree that obtaining personal data has some value, but again, only if you decide to do something with it. For example with Facebook you can target ads based on age, gender, interests, location; it's all clever stuff, but due to the way Twitter works I don't think people are going to be happy having ads appearing on their phones, filling their screens. It's hyped a little with celebrities getting onboard, but then you just have huge amounts of people following those celebrities with no return. This is exactly what Twitter is now.
browolf Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 at this point the value of twitter is probably in its potential. I dunno how much potential Michael has
Michael Posted September 25, 2009 Author Posted September 25, 2009 I'm not so sure, I couldn't imagine Twitter ever being worth $1 billion or more. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I just don't see it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now