tickmike Posted August 29, 2006 Posted August 29, 2006 Hello All. I been 'Ghosting' and after some 'bios' problems (BSOD= ACPI problems) so I put a post on the HP forum and downloaded the bios flash and that got the computers working, the I took them off the domain and changed the computer name , each computer seemed to install video drivers and then reboot. But when I came to use Ghostwalker to change the 'SID' it did not work... just blank. I tried booting from a ghost boot disk and typing ' ghstwalk.exe' = did not work. then reboot and go into safe mode command prompt typed ' ghstwalk.exe' = did not work. rebooted into windows, then C:\ and typed ' ghstwalk.exe' = did not work. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ?. I have downloaded ' newsid' from sysinternals but do not know how to use it. From Michael.
MkII Posted August 29, 2006 Posted August 29, 2006 newsid:- run in windows > generate random SID > rename computer to new name - done [runs and then reboots]
Geoff Posted August 30, 2006 Posted August 30, 2006 Also consider using sysprep (search the MS downloads site for it).
tickmike Posted August 30, 2006 Author Posted August 30, 2006 Hi , I got 'newsid' working ok. Thanks. I have down-loaded 'sysprep' but I was so far into ghosting I did not use it this time. I will practice on my test set up at home with it and RIS . for the next time. How often do you do a new image on to a computer.?. Any body know why my 'Ghostwalker' ( see above ) did not work.?. From Michael.
Ric_ Posted August 30, 2006 Posted August 30, 2006 ghostwalker generally just works... the preferred way to do it though is to sysprep the machine before you take the ghost image.
Face-Man Posted September 4, 2006 Posted September 4, 2006 I've not come accross this before but have had problems before with different ghost versions especially when upgrading from one to another version. It would appear from symantec web site that only running a boot disk is supported which make sence as it is changing the SID. (not even from a CD is supported) I would try a fresh copy of the program on boot disk maybe using some of the commandline on offer http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999020113402425?Open&docid=2000121215533325&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=es_full they also seem to mention virus that can stop it working but I'm sure you've checked that already
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now