browolf Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 Thought I'd have a go at ruby on rails, gonna install it on portable ubuntu (that's the plan anyways). Watched a few videos and it seems pretty neat but kind of obscure at the same time. anyone actually use it or tried it?
webman Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 Tried and failed - obscure is an understatement. I decided to stick with PHP
browolf Posted September 19, 2009 Author Posted September 19, 2009 Incase anyone else wants to try, Successfully got it installed following these instructions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails on portable ubuntu after a sudo update and upgrade. the default sudo password is "123456"
keithu Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 I'm just finishing up my first Rails project. Rails is a nice web framework but I have to admit there's quite a steep learning curve. Luckily I had used Ruby before, so it wasn't too hard to understand the actual coding side. This book has been very useful. It takes you through building an online catalogue type of website and also has a reasonably in-depth reference for Rails and an introduction to Ruby. Railscasts is a great site. You can really get a feel for developing in Rails, even of some of the content might be over your head for now (and mine!). There are some interesting Rails podcasts too, if you like that kind of thing. Rails is evolving so fast it can be hard to keep up. If you're using Google to find answers to programming problems make sure the information you find is up-to-date, or you could find yourself using deprecated techniques. I recommend you think of some small project to work on and just go for it. While you're learning, you need to do everything 'the Rails way' - you won't see the advantage of using a framework if you try to bend it to preconcieved ideas from php, asp.net etc.
Arcath Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 Im writing a CMS in rails at the moment. *resists urge to link plug* Once i got my head round the way it works progress has been allot quicker than when i did a similar thing in PHP.
Chillibear Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 I've worked on and off with Rails for a while now, I'm a big fan of Ruby and had always heard good things about Rails. The most useful book I found was this one: The Pragmatic Bookshelf | Rails for PHP Developers One of the problems I found with many Rails tutorials is they tended to jump straight into using the scaffolding and whilst you ended up with a working app quickly, you didn't really understand how it was constructed. Took me a good while (and that's with many years of programming experience in various languages) before I think I actually got it. I still find I often ask myself what the right way of doing something in Rails is, but I guess that's the price a youngish framework pays. It's worth sticking with, especially now Passenger is available for easy deployment: Overview — Phusion Passenger (a.k.a. mod_rails / mod_rack)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now