tickmike Posted August 15, 2006 Posted August 15, 2006 Hello all . edit... I HAVE RE-SET THE ATTACHMENT HOPE YOU CAN NOW SEE IT. edit end I have now taken the W2K server over to school late last night and starting to set it up but need some Help with Setting up the computer NIC's properties page on each computer. If anyone could have a look at my diagram and give me some advice on setting up the default gateways on the various parts please. Also do all the DNS entries point to my Dns server on 192.168.0.10 ?. All the network has a SNM of 255.255.255.0 I'm using a proxy on smoothwall 192.168.0.1 do I have to put this address on any of above ?. The Ip address range for my home network is it right ?. Michael.
Gatt Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 Your diagram isn;t appearing - though from the filename it looks like it could be getting confused by the 2 ".TIF" extensions there.. EDIT - See here for the problem with your image.. All your clients and any additional servers should have the IP of your DNS server (i assume its ur DC) specified in the DNS Server settings of LAN Properties - unless you are pushing this through DHCP as you can specify those settings in your DHCP Scope. Default Gateway settings should be to the main router/server that provides internet access (in my case this is the LEA of 10.4.xxx.255) Your proxy address should go into each clients Browser's LAN settings for proxy (if IE then thats Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings>Proxy Settings) This can also be pushed out via Group Policy
plexer Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 Even if you only have a handful of machines I would say you should setup dhcp on the server so that you don't have to go around every pc and make these changes. Once dhcp is setup the pc's will automagically get the correct settings from the dhcp server. DHCP is a function available with windows server. Ben
Guest Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 Yep. Just enter all the required deatils into your DHCP server and let that do all the hard work.
Ric_ Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 @Tickmike: Please re-upload your pic as a .JPG or .PNG and the forum will stik the image inline. We should then be able to help you in a clearer, more concise, manner
Gatt Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 Yep. Just enter all the required deatils into your DHCP server and let that do all the hard work. That is how i am setup - but for some unknown reason - i have to put in the DNS & WINS settings into the local PC build too - otherwise we pick up the DHCP settings from our Server AND that of the LEA (school used to use LEA for AD/DNS/DHCP/etc
Ric_ Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 @Gatt: Block port 546 and 547 to/from your LEA at the router into the School - should solve your problem
Gatt Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 @Gatt: Block port 546 and 547 to/from your LEA at the router into the School - should solve your problem It would if i could get ONTO the router - LEA control it and we dont have the username/password to get access to it LEA claim it shouldn't be happening and say nothing is wrong their end - despite what i say to the contrary!! Oh well at least the settings are part of my RIS images now!
tickmike Posted August 16, 2006 Author Posted August 16, 2006 Thanks image now works ..great... note. that the school has no part of any LEA networks we are private and all on our own.
tickmike Posted August 16, 2006 Author Posted August 16, 2006 Hi. As you can see from my diagram its not straight forward, it is two networks joined via a wifi link. (or does that make in three networks) ?. You say set DHCP on the server but I have and I do not know/understand what these default gateways setting should be, If I did set some up Via DHCP I can have the workstations to get them automatically but what about the one's on the two routers and there USB network adapters, what do I set them to ?. And what do I set the DG on the server ?. Michael.
plexer Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 If all your machines are on the same ip range then all you have is one network it doesn't matter that you are bridging your home to school via wifi that is just like plugging them both into a switch. Now if you had a different ip on your home pc that would be different. Looking at your diagram I assume that the ip address of your smoothwall box is going to be your default gateway as that is acting as your router to your presumably adsl connection? You can set up exclusion ranges on your dhcp to give you a block of ip addresses that you can set up any static devices you may have such as printer and your usb adapters for the wifi. In dhcp server go into your scope and right click on your address pool and click on new exclusion range. I have the first 50 addresses reserved for statics. Ben
plexer Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 Oops just looked at your diagram again and noticed you do have different ip's on your wifi link. It would be easier to bridge it with 2 wireless access points in bridge mode. Then you wouldn't need the 2 bridging coumputers. I have 2 buffalo pro wireless access points with WLE-HG-DYG outdorr directional antenna's which would probably be perfect for your situation that you could have for the cost of the postage. Ben
Gatt Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 would it not be easier to setup RRAS/VPN to connect from home - that way he would get the same IP range at both ends?
NetworkGeezer Posted August 16, 2006 Posted August 16, 2006 Is the school BT Line also being used to provide internet access to PCs at home? You may need to have the IP address of the smallwall box in the proxy section of your web browser config.
tickmike Posted August 16, 2006 Author Posted August 16, 2006 Hello all. Ric ..It did not work . I can ping from 172.16.1.10 to 176.16.1.1 but no further and ping from 192.168.0.11 to 176.16.1.2 and no further ?. DG Ip's On the DC server with ip of 192.168.0.10 ...I have the router DG ip of 192.168.0.11 Is that ok ?. On the router ( computer 1 ) with the lan ip of 192.168.0.11 ..I have the DC server DG ip of 192.168.0.10 is that ok ?. Still on computer 1 (router) with the wifi network adapter ip of 176.16.1.1 ...I have the DG ip of 176.16.1.2 Is that ok ?. (the other wifi adapter) On computer 2 on my diagram, the wifi network adapter of 176.16.1.2 .. I have the other wifi adapters ip of 176.16.1.1 for the DG, is that ok ?. Still on computer 2 ( router ) on the other network adapter with the ip of 172.16.1.10 I have left it blank like you said . -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plexer.. The smoothwall box is sending out the internet from its proxy setting of 192.168.0.1 and that works on all computers on the school side of the wifi link. ( on the two routers computer 1 & 2 .... I have NAT and Relay agent enabled ). BEN I WILL SEND YOU A PM about access points. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gatt... Yes It would but I'm on dial up sometimes as low as 9Kbps. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- networkGeezer I have permission to use the new broadband connection from school and I hope to run the network from home (well that's the idea). From Michael.
Ric_ Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 @tickmike: Everything on the left hand side of the wifi link should have the smoothewall box as the gateway. I think it should all be OK then... if the routing on your servers is set up OK. It would certainly be easier to stick to one IP range.
tickmike Posted August 17, 2006 Author Posted August 17, 2006 Hello . Do you think my new network will work better. > power cut< :x Now the storms past over and the lightning has stopped I will re do all the message before the power goes off again !. From this site I could see some of you have had some rain and lightning too . http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm Thanks for your reply's . I was told It would be more secure for my home network if I did it as the network as in the diagram above. So if I did use a single IP range say 192.168.0.1 etc.on 255.255.255.0 See New Diagram Then not use computer 1 & 2 as routers ( or use two wifi access points instead) feed strait through to a computer that is only used for the looking after the school network from home. Then have a second smoothwall box so it feeds the internet through from school but makes my home network private. Do you think this will work ?. From Michael.
plexer Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 You could put all of your home machines behind the second smoothwall box so the smoothwall would have a red ip in the same range as your school machines and the green ip i.e your home lan could have a completely different ip range handed out by the dhcp on the smoothwall. Then to access the school network via remote desktop or whatever you just set smoothwall up to pass that traffic along if you need to or it may just work out of the box as you are going from green to red and not any other way. Ben
tickmike Posted August 17, 2006 Author Posted August 17, 2006 Hi All . Some good news on streaming the internet over from school, I had it working about 6pm tonight, that's with my first layout then I tried part of the 'new layout' a single IP range and no routers and stopped it working altogether. Can ping across the wifi link OK. Could not ping from the 'lan' side across the wifi link to the other 'lan' IP. I'm thinking I read that for a multihomed computer you have to have them routed or was I dreaming again. I'm going to build a second smoothy box now. Regards Michael.
tom_newton Posted September 17, 2006 Posted September 17, 2006 Would suggest that you're getting in a bit of a tangle with too many different networks. Why use 176 addys for the USB bridges? Either bring them onto their respective networks AND widen your subnet masks, or use tunnelling.
tickmike Posted September 17, 2006 Author Posted September 17, 2006 Hi, Tom_Newton and welcome, That was a few weeks ago and I got this cheap £40 link to work so I could regain some of my free time back (also one of our members fixed me up with some redundant 'wifi bridges' that did the job). The school has no spare cash for IT and I have set it all up for free and I look after it for free, you could say I have brought them into the 21st century, It was nice at there last 'Ofsted' and when I went over to collect my daughter from school at 4pm (she has now gone to a "big school") I was taken to one side by the ofsted inspectors and congratulated on providing the school with an excellent school network and all the other things I had signally done for that small village school. Regards Michael.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now