russdev Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 can you get network scanners i.e scanners that sit on n/w port and then software controls it... i know can do this with some multi function printers/scanners but what we need is just a scanner on its own. russ
Ric_ Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 I think it's possible with some some of the Canon ones but you still need a kind of server machine to hook it up to. HP do some rather expensive ones that will scan the document and then email it but these tend to be pretty pricey.
OverWorked Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 I've seen modern photocopiers that have an Ethernet port and can be used as a networked A3 laser printer. I suspect they could be used as scanners too. I bet they're pricey though. I think most organisations will hire them rather than buy them. Here's one, but it's probably a lot more than you need. http://www.digipro.co.uk/canon-products/photocopiers/black-white-copiers/canon-gp225/
ajbritton Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 Used to be able to do this with bog standard HP scanners. Hook the scanner up to the file server and share it. System was called HP LanScan. Don't know if they still do it though...
Geoff Posted August 24, 2005 Posted August 24, 2005 You can do network scanning from within windows to a Linux machine running SANE and having a compatible scanner attached. For the windows side of things you'd need to use XSane.
russdev Posted August 24, 2005 Author Posted August 24, 2005 right does sane need to run on dedicated box or can it run a a linux box that is being used for other stuff. Russ
russdev Posted August 24, 2005 Author Posted August 24, 2005 also what spec can it run on a workstation spec ok. also if you had two scanners one in each usb port then would reconinse both scanners etc. russ
Geoff Posted August 24, 2005 Posted August 24, 2005 Sane will coexist on an Linux machine with other tools. You don't need amazing hardware. The only thing I would check is if the usb is 2.0 or not. I don't see why multiple scanners would not be recognised.
Geoff Posted August 24, 2005 Posted August 24, 2005 No, I'm just thinking of the speed. USB 1 will work. As will Parrellel and SCSI.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now