cookie_monster Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Anyone using Windows Search Service on Server 2008, I'd love a way for staff to search shared areas to see if resources they intend to create have already been created. I've noticed this service on server 2008 and wondered if it is any good.
sted Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 i dont think its available on network drives just local ones iirc
cookie_monster Posted July 27, 2009 Author Posted July 27, 2009 When i highlight the role it says "Permits fast file searches on this server from clients that are compatible with Windows Search Services" so I thought it was a client server app.
ZeroHour Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Requires Vista clients. I thought it could use the latest windows desktop search for xp if it detects the share having been indexed? And yeh it works with 7
cookie_monster Posted July 27, 2009 Author Posted July 27, 2009 I knew Vista or 7 would work but I also thought Windows Search would work if deployed on XP.
SYNACK Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 The writeups that I have stubled across in the past has stated that this service is meant more for small (5-6) person type networks and that it would not cope with a fully scalled out network environment. I don't know whether this is actually true in practice though.
localzuk Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 For networks you should really be looking at Enterprise Search - Enterprise Search
cookie_monster Posted July 27, 2009 Author Posted July 27, 2009 Does that require sharepoint? EDIT I can see now that it does so it will probably have to wait for now.
localzuk Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Does that require sharepoint? EDIT I can see now that it does so it will probably have to wait for now. The express edition is built on sharepoint services (not MOSS), so yes it needs the version of sharepoint you have a license to use with 2k8 anyway. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now