elsiegee40 Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 When you use the thanks button, your thanks is shown beneath the thanked post. If however, we choose to give rep instead (it's worth more than thanks from those of us with higher rep), that isn't shown. It would be nice to be able when positives are given for both, I think.
Geoff Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 perhaps hooking rep/thanks up with the star rating thing?
markcuk Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 (it's worth more than thanks from those of us with higher rep) those of you its gone to your heads:troll: dont see the point in it
sparkeh Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 those of you its gone to your heads:troll: dont see the point in it Not really, its handy to see who thinks posts are worthy of credit. If someone provides a solution that receives a lot of credit then you can some certainty that it is good.
Geoff Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 Indeed. It would also give us mods a guide as to what threads are worth stickying or converting to wiki articles.
ZeroHour Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 elsie: just so you know you can see your latest rep in your user control panel. Were you meaning to integrate it into the posts like the thanks button? Thread ratings are good and should be used for the reason Geoff said.
powdarrmonkey Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 Hmm, I like the idea, but I also like being able to rep in a way that only the poster sees (and even, hypothetically, repping anonymously, like they do at the moment). I'd rather see a 5-star post rating that gets averaged.
EduTech Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 If i tend to give some one rep instead of thanks, i tend to put my name at the end of the comment. and for the person who it was given to they can go to their user panel and see their reputation With Reputation in mind, i know you get Green and Red but what does the Clear one mean ?? because i seem to have got one of those this morning.
powdarrmonkey Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 With Reputation in mind, i know you get Green and Red but what does the Clear one mean ?? because i seem to have got one of those this morning. I got a blue one the other day, too. No idea what the difference is. Edit: oh, other bugbear: I can only see the last five actions in the user CP - any chance of a bigger history?
sparkeh Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 I got a blue one the other day, too. No idea what the difference is. Edit: oh, other bugbear: I can only see the last five actions in the user CP - any chance of a bigger history? +1 for this idea. A longer history would be nice.
elsiegee40 Posted July 23, 2009 Author Posted July 23, 2009 elsie: just so you know you can see your latest rep in your user control panel. Were you meaning to integrate it into the posts like the thanks button? Thread ratings are good and should be used for the reason Geoff said. I know I can see my rep... that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about seeing when rep has been given for a particular post, it should be shown under the post like Thanks. Some really good posts may not appear to have been rewarded when in fact rep has been given instead of thanks. As a result, they may be overlooked as Geoff said.
SYNACK Posted July 23, 2009 Posted July 23, 2009 (edited) With Reputation in mind, i know you get Green and Red but what does the Clear one mean ?? because i seem to have got one of those this morning. Green is positive and adds the rep power number of the giver in points to your account, red is negitive and I beleive that it takes away 50% of the rep power number and the clear one means that the person who gave the rep does not have any rep power so it has neither a positive or negiteve affect on your points. I got a blue one the other day, too. No idea what the difference is. Edit: oh, other bugbear: I can only see the last five actions in the user CP - any chance of a bigger history? I have no idea what a blue one does, maybe it is awarded for being cool or something I also agree with the larger history idea. As to the original idea it could be a good thing to have the total number of positive or negitive rep displayed sans comments but I'm not sure about its usage for finding good posts as by design it is a subjective measurement based on your aggreement or enjoyment of the post. The two have kind of become mixed up though as instead of giving rep for jokes, opinions people often give thanks and sometimes the reverse happens due to the sometimes large disparity in points given by each system. As the systems have become mixed, largely due to the wish to easily show visible support I think that the usefulness of the thanks as a metric of technical value is diluted as a search aid. I am not sure what if anything could be done to seporate out technical praise from general praise at this point though. Edited July 23, 2009 by SYNACK
elsiegee40 Posted July 24, 2009 Author Posted July 24, 2009 I also agree with the larger history idea. Careful there, it'd take an age to load your history! They've had to invent a new rep symbol for you! 1
powdarrmonkey Posted July 24, 2009 Posted July 24, 2009 Green is positive and adds the rep power number of the giver in points to your account, red is negitive and I beleive that it takes away 50% of the rep power number and the clear one means that the person who gave the rep does not have any rep power so it has neither a positive or negiteve affect on your points. Got it As to the original idea it could be a good thing to have the total number of positive or negitive rep displayed sans comments but I'm not sure about its usage for finding good posts as by design it is a subjective measurement based on your aggreement or enjoyment of the post. The two have kind of become mixed up though as instead of giving rep for jokes, opinions people often give thanks and sometimes the reverse happens due to the sometimes large disparity in points given by each system. I have to confess to being a serial thanks-abuser Because reps aren't displayed publicly, I sometimes use Thanks to indicate I thought something was funny, witty, useful, to the point, or some other adjective. Hence my suggestion of awarding a post some arbitrary stars: I think I'd get annoyed if every post had a box of reppers under it, cluttering the display - I'd rather see an overview and have a popup of more information if I cared enough.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now