elsiegee40 Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 (edited) From the Kent & Sussex Courier (3/7/09) - I have no connection with this school. Minimum salary £24k Employment Opportunities - Tonbridge School I don't normally express an opinion on jobs I find in the paper, but for those who don't know, Tonbridge School is one of a small number of leading independent boys' secondary schools; I think the opportunities here could be huge and would say don't be put off by this being an initial one year contract. PS if an edugeek gets this, any chance of an invite for a nose around? Edited July 3, 2009 by elsiegee40
IanT Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 Looks like a good school but the 1 year contract puts me off abit.
elsiegee40 Posted July 3, 2009 Author Posted July 3, 2009 Looks like a good school but the 1 year contract puts me off abit. With the current recession, it's common in many private schools (and state TBH)... however, Tonbridge School is more financially secure than most due to being around for over 500 years and owning most of Tonbridge. My feeling is that if your face fits, you'll get this extended.
john Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 With the current recession, it's common in many private schools (and state TBH)... however, Tonbridge School is more financially secure than most due to being around for over 500 years and owning most of Tonbridge. My feeling is that if your face fits, you'll get this extended. agree with that elsiegee40, it is all now about how well your face fits in independent schools as to if you stay or go, from talking to some former colleagues its happening to teachers as well in them they get 12 month initial contracts, if the face fits well it turns permanent if its still bedding in it is 12 months if it didn't fit it doesn't get renewed and a magical new role appears in the near future with new title, role, etc to avoid any issues and they try again. A bit naughty IMHO but seems to be the way of the world. Personally if you fancy the job go for it, I had a great time working for an independent school and no doubt in the future will do it all again, it has its highs and lows. Be prepared if its a full on boarding school to give you life up for it though
IanT Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 I got a call today from a all girls school offering me an interview for an Assistant ICT Network Manager (not this job btw), had to turn it down though
IanT Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 Because when I left my old school as Network Manager for personal reasons, my old company took me back, now it was very good of them to do that and I wouldn't wanna turn round after 3 months and say im off now - I have a lot of respect for my boss. I will however next year start really looking to get back into the education game as Assistant/ICT Network Manager somewhere. i've turned down 2 interviews in the last few months from schools - hurts me it really does!
AXE Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 I've turned down 2 interviews in the last few months from schools - hurts me it really does! Not as much as it hurts me to read that. Makes me feel sick, that you can turn down two interviews when I can't even get one.
mossj Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 (edited) Not as much as it hurts me to read that. Makes me feel sick, that you can turn down two interviews when I can't even get one. Did you take the people who offered up on checking your CV?, I've got job interviews being offered on almost every application I make. Mainly thanks to helpful people here (esp Witch!) Edited July 6, 2009 by mossj
IanT Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 Not as much as it hurts me to read that. Makes me feel sick, that you can turn down two interviews when I can't even get one. If you want me todo a once over on your cv, pm me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now