Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I just wasted 30mins writing a post, only to have the server timeout when I went to post. Part my fault, never saved it.

 

Could you either:

 

1/ Cut public access, so have to register to see anything (cuts out on bots etc)

2/ Cut out the extras (ads etc)

3/ Load balance across multiple VDS\VPS

4/ Get a better server\dedi\VPS

5/ Move to a better host

6/ Get Gears so we can store bits offline (my understanding of gears) - ie cache my nice lovely post.

Posted
I just wasted 30mins writing a post, only to have the server timeout when I went to post. Part my fault, never saved it.

 

Could you either:

 

1/ Cut public access, so have to register to see anything (cuts out on bots etc)

2/ Cut out the extras (ads etc)

3/ Load balance across multiple VDS\VPS

4/ Get a better server\dedi\VPS

5/ Move to a better host

6/ Get Gears so we can store bits offline (my understanding of gears) - ie cache my nice lovely post.

 

1. Not any easy way to really do that tbh, sorry its just not in vbulletin but I will keep my eye out for a possible route.

2. Ad's dont drastically effect the server load in ANY way... So many blame adverts for problems but it usually has nothing to do with it and if tons disable adverts under this illusion then we will have no revenue and things will only get worse.

3. Already looking to move things around a bit but there is no *easy* load balance option, more just round robin dns.

4. A possible route but we will see how point 3 pans out.

5. As above

6. Gears wont really make much difference due to the way it works and the nature of forums.

 

As for losing your message, I am testing a addon that does autosave drafts at intervals and allows users to manually save drafts as they go for posts so that may help.

 

The outage was unfortunate but tbh these things happen and as we all know when teachers coming moaning about "just throw money at it, it must be simple to fix" it rarley is a simple case to sort load issues out.

 

I have reduced the resources that various services can take so I hope it wont peak the server out again.

 

Also remember I have a day job as well, it can be hard to find the time to login and restart things etc while things are happening at the school.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Cheers ZeroHour.

 

Why don't you just get a managed service?

 

No 6/ would have saved my post (assuming I have gears installed on my local machine)

 

 

As for no3....

 

Lighttpd with GeoIP, MySQL cluster and\or (Open)BSD with PF and CARP. Sorted.

Posted
Don't think you can in a managed environment without someone tapping you on the shoulder.

 

Someone taps me on the shoulder and they should expect a slightly larger response :p

Posted
Portable Firefox + Internet Explorer theme? Guess otherwise you'd have to go old school and remember to CTRL+A then CTRL+C in the form box before submitting... What I was doing before I found Lazarus :)
Posted

Problem would be it reporting as Firefox on the proxy, I guess I could rebuild firefox and change the header...

 

Funny... the post appear a bit later - i guess it got a later train ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...