DAckroyd Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 Hi all - should I hope be an easy question (even if the answer is "not possible") I want to connect to the main console (tty1?) from an SSH session from PuTTY. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks all
powdarrmonkey Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 You could investigate TTY redirection, which you'd normally do to a serial device but I don't know if you can redirect to a virtual device after the event. You could also use screen, but that means leaving tty1 logged in and unattended, which I don't recommend (see Connect to TTY1 Session using SSH - Ubuntu Forums)
DAckroyd Posted June 15, 2009 Author Posted June 15, 2009 ok looks like I will need to walk to the server to perform certain tasks - thanks
DAckroyd Posted June 15, 2009 Author Posted June 15, 2009 shutting down server doesn't work through ssh and when I was just installing something I had to run a preinstall_setup.sh and it wasn't able to reboot so I had to walk to the server and do it
powdarrmonkey Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 shutting down server doesn't work through ssh and when I was just installing something I had to run a preinstall_setup.sh and it wasn't able to reboot so I had to walk to the server and do it There's no reason not to be able to shut down through SSH (you just get a shell, after all) so something about your install is broken. Presume you were root when you shut down?
DAckroyd Posted June 15, 2009 Author Posted June 15, 2009 I can't log into the server as root through SSH (it's an ESX box) I su into root but it doesn't allow it
powdarrmonkey Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 (it's an ESX box) Ah, you didn't say that. Try saying telinit 0 as root.
DAckroyd Posted June 15, 2009 Author Posted June 15, 2009 Ah, you didn't say that. Try saying telinit 0 as root. logged on remotely, su'ed then: [root@...]# telinet 0 bash: telinit: command not found
TwoZeroAlpha Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 sudo reboot now usually works for me Also sudo shutdown -P now (for poweroff)
Domino Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 you could always enable root access sysdigg: Enable SSH root login into VMware ESX
powdarrmonkey Posted June 15, 2009 Posted June 15, 2009 sudo reboot now usually works for me Also sudo shutdown -P now (for poweroff) On a machine that VMware haven't crippled, yes... Mind you, I'm more worried that their software requires a reboot to take effect (such a Windows-ism...). Can you not restart the service affected instead?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now