RabbieBurns Posted June 10, 2009 Posted June 10, 2009 I use the option "leave messages on server until I delete them", as I triple boot and like the messages in each. However today on my ubuntu installation, thunderbird seems to be downloading the whole inboxes again from each of my pop accounts. Its not doing it on thunderbird or outlook on xp. What could have caused this, and is there any way to stop it? Ive got thousands of messages and Im on dialup speeds just now and its killing.
RabbieBurns Posted July 19, 2009 Author Posted July 19, 2009 argh its doing it again now this is a pain
RabbieBurns Posted September 23, 2009 Author Posted September 23, 2009 its doing it again now.. I dont understand it..
jamesb Posted September 23, 2009 Posted September 23, 2009 Is it completing the sync? It may be that its downloading them all, but then failing when trying to mark all e-mails as downloaded. Just a thought. No idea how to fix it if that is the case though.
RabbieBurns Posted September 23, 2009 Author Posted September 23, 2009 No its downloading the ENTIRE mailbox, as in, mails from 2007, 2008 etc, which have long been marked as read.
TwoZeroAlpha Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 Could you not use IMAP as a solution? As for re-downloading, maybe the local mailbox store has been corrupted or lost? Not quite sure where it is in ubuntu.
RabbieBurns Posted September 24, 2009 Author Posted September 24, 2009 Could you not use IMAP as a solution? As for re-downloading, maybe the local mailbox store has been corrupted or lost? Not quite sure where it is in ubuntu. What does IMAP offer over POP with regards to retrieving mail? And that sounds like the most logical explanation actually. I think come 9.10 I will just do a fresh install. To be honest though, since changing my xp parition to 7, Ive not really used ubuntu much...
localzuk Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 IMAP stores all email on the server, and nothing is stored locally (well, cached versions of email are but that's about it). POP3 is intended for downloading and interacting locally. Using POP to do the job of IMAP is likely to have glitches like this really.
RabbieBurns Posted September 24, 2009 Author Posted September 24, 2009 Using POP to do the job of IMAP is likely to have glitches like this really. Im using POP the way it was designed then. I want to have a local, searchable, backupable copy of all my mail. I only want to download my new mail, and mark it read on the server. It works fine in Outlook and Thunderbird on Windows. So I think the previous poster was correct that it is a duff profile or something on ubuntu, rather than the misuse of a mail protocol. Ill see if it sorts itself out after a reinstall in a months time.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now