networkingNut Posted June 2, 2009 Posted June 2, 2009 We repalced our core switch over half term. The old core swith (HP 4108GL) was relocated to replace an old HP 8000m switch. We have a connectivity issue between the newly located 4108 and a HP2524 switch. They are connected via Fibre optics with the same transceiver module at both ends. The link light on both ends of the connection are up and and cant see any confiuration issues which raise any alarms. The one think which I believe to be the cause is that the 2524 is shown as being connected to a different port on the 4108. Its shown on port to which it used to be connected when the 4108 was in our comms room. Is there a way to flush the mac table so that the switch can learn the new location. I am not very familiar with HP OS commands. I cant seem to find a clear mac-address table command . I understand that most people advice against flushing the mac table but I cant think of what else it could be. Thanks nN
plexer Posted June 2, 2009 Posted June 2, 2009 I don't know how you can see link connected to a different port to the one it is physically connected to? Ben
DrPerceptron Posted June 2, 2009 Posted June 2, 2009 They're not VLANned differently are they? How about duplex settings? have you tried forcing both ends to 1000Mb/FDx ?
networkingNut Posted June 2, 2009 Author Posted June 2, 2009 Sorry about not being clear in my query I hope this example can clarifiy this situation. The 2524 used to be connected to port H3 (for example). Now when we move the switch we had to move the module to slot F1. The Link light is on for F1 module as expected. The switch mac table still shows the 2524 as beijng connected to port H3. There are no VLANS on the switch, just a basic config, hostname, passwords etc. I have not yet tried setting them to full duplex with it being the same module at either end and with them both being set to auto. I will give it a try and let you know how I get on. thanks nN
keithu Posted June 2, 2009 Posted June 2, 2009 If you moved a module to a different slot it may be that the running-config and the saved-config don't match. I would try a 'write mem' to update the saved-config, then reboot.
Michael Posted June 2, 2009 Posted June 2, 2009 Reset both switches to factory default. This should resolve your problems.
networkingNut Posted June 4, 2009 Author Posted June 4, 2009 Thanks everyone for your help, Much appreciated. It was just a case of rebooting the switch to re-register the modules. Feel a bit silly but I suppose you could call it a learning curve nN
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now