lafleur1977 Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 Hey, We have a small suite of macs at our college which is a windows network. We have a mac server with leopard server installed clean. We are able to bind the server and macs to the network and log in with domain accounts. The problem is group policies or equivalents for macs. How do we do it? I presume it needs to be done on the mac server. I have installed open directory and found preferences, changed a few things for the students security group but it could not save the changes. Also the macs are running tiger 10.4 and the server is leapard 10.5. Help much appreciated, totally new to macs on a network :]
DrPerceptron Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 You'll want to use the Workgroup Manager features of OSX to do that by the sounds of it... Apple - Mac OS X Server - Features - Client Management
lafleur1977 Posted May 29, 2009 Author Posted May 29, 2009 I have tried using the workgroup manager and setting a few preferances then when i go to save i get the error: - 14140
ashleym Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 i have this setup here. you have to create a sub domain because at the moment you are trying to save osx information into active directory which you cannot do. create a domain with your mac server using your windows domains dhcp and dns, join the server to the AD. you then save your workgroup policys on the mac domain and can apply these to windows groups this is all self taught but this is all working for me.
lafleur1977 Posted May 29, 2009 Author Posted May 29, 2009 What I have done so far is: Add the mac server to AD. Setup OD on the mac server. Created a group on the mac server. Clicked the + to add users but nothing happens. I presumed I would be able to see the AD users then and add them. Is this similar to your approach? Could you give me some more details of how you may have done it differently? Thanks
mac_shinobi Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 Managed Preferences, Part 2 The above is how I managed to force the clients to take the set preferences hope this helps some what.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now