DAckroyd Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 I'm possibly being stupid, infact that is more than likely, but I'm trying to build a Server 2008 R2 RC server on my ESX boxes but get the following message about drivers. I have lots of server 2008 machines running and they install with no problems but this message apears I have tried loading the floppy disk image that I need for XP but that doesn't work - any ideas? Thanks, Dave
Ric_ Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 No idea why you are getting the message but I like the way it is asking you to insert a CD/DVD to load the CD/DVD device driver
ICTNUT Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 (edited) The only time I have seen this is when the storage device (hard drives) have not been recognised. In theory VMWare's NIC drivers are recognised by most OS's but I do remember an similar error to this when I VM'd the first release of Server 2008 RC but once MS had a general release I got it off TechNet and strangely it worked. Edited May 27, 2009 by ICTNUT typo
DAckroyd Posted May 27, 2009 Author Posted May 27, 2009 I'm now downloading the VHD of it and hope to somehow convert that to what VMware would like
DAckroyd Posted May 27, 2009 Author Posted May 27, 2009 (edited) I thought I may have cracked it... Didn't - what I had done was on the virtual center server I mounted the ISO and then set the VM to look at the D:\ drive on VCenter to boot from - still get same message - going to install virtual pc onto a VM and then install server 2k8R2 onto that then P2V (if you haven't already guessed the VHD idea didn't work either) Update: Now deploying a 2008 server and then going to try upgrading to R2... this is getting irritating - glade I'm doing this during the holidays otherwise with interuptions every few mins it would take forever!/never get done Edited May 27, 2009 by DAckroyd
Theblacksheep Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 dont really get why its not working straight in esx... I have R2 running fine, buts its the earlier release, not the RC so i'll give it a go.
DAckroyd Posted May 27, 2009 Author Posted May 27, 2009 (edited) AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!!!!! I've got 2K8 installed and that won't upgrade cos of a problem with a file - I'll try downloading again, then I'll find a brick wall EDIT: I've downloaded again and tried with that to upgrade Server 2k8 to 2k8R2 and get the following message: Edited May 27, 2009 by DAckroyd
ranj Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 sounds like a lot of work, putting it into virtual server and doing a P2V, looks like you may have come across a bug.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now