FN-GM Posted April 9, 2009 Posted April 9, 2009 You will be able to downgrade to Windows Vista or XP, im surprised they are giving XP as an option. I would have thought they would want to push on with 7. Also looks like the home editions can downgrade unlike Windows Vista. BBC NEWS | Technology | Downgrade plan for Windows 7 PCs
mattx Posted April 9, 2009 Posted April 9, 2009 I'm not surprised, Vista is nothing more than a load of bloated code kack. I have not even bothered checking out the beta of Windows 7 as if its anything like Vista they can shove it - and I get it for nothing along with my Technet + subscription !! I'll stick with XP for the time being with a possible move to Ubuntu when they stop messing around with it. God I miss OS/2......
Quackers Posted April 10, 2009 Posted April 10, 2009 i do not get all these news ariticals on microsoft allowing you to downgrade to xp. Microsoft have always allowed you to run earlier versions of windows. You can downgrade windows 7 to windows 3.1 if you really want.
PeterW Posted April 10, 2009 Posted April 10, 2009 Also looks like the home editions can downgrade unlike Windows Vista. Where does it say that ?
mattx Posted April 10, 2009 Posted April 10, 2009 Not sure on the Home Editions Peter, but I got my info here: Microsoft to offer Windows 7 downgrade to XP • Channel Register
PeterW Posted April 10, 2009 Posted April 10, 2009 Yeah it just looks like Pro & Ultimate which is pretty standard, that reg article seems to suggest that OEM versions will only be allowed to downgrade to the previous two version (Vista, XP) but only for 6 months after general availability whatever that means.
synaesthesia Posted April 10, 2009 Posted April 10, 2009 The downgrade will be a silly move for anyone at home really, unless they're using some really ancient apps that won't work otherwise. It'll only be of any use to corporate or business users really. 7 is far superior to both Vista and XP in it's current state, still waiting to see if things slow down upon release or even improve further.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now